• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dosing two parts

Can someone please give an explanation on the steps you took/take to come up with the amount of Calcium and Alkalinity dosage that you are dosing today? This applies to any two parts.

I've used two systems in the past. B-Ionic and Randy's 2-part.

When I used B-Ionic I tested my CA and Alk daily. I started with the minimum recommended dose and increased it until my parameters were near my desired targets. I would test several more days until I had stable numbers at a set dosage. Once I knew my average daily dosage, I reduced testing to once a week.

When I switched to Randy's 2-part I discovered this calculator. I then tested, selected an initial dosage, tested again to get the daily consumption and used the calculator to determine the daily requirements. Similar to above, but the calculator helped dial in quicker.

Here's a link to Randy's 2-part, really 3-part system.

I no longer use 2-part but rely on weekly water changes and use ESV Kalkwasser in my topoff.

I need to test numbers, haven't done so for at least a month! :D

Thanks Bill. It seems like alot of work. I was thinking of dosing my frag tank, but I don't think I can do that every day. Frags will be mostly sps.

Blange, have you noticed a difference in your corals growth when useing either the B-ionic or Randy's two part additive? Is one any better than the other?

Thanks,
Joe

Bill - I curious what kind of salt you use to allow you to move away from dosing. I have been stock from the Get Tanked group buy. I have had some trouble with calcium encrusting when dosing two part.
Thx

jd3322 said:
Blange, have you noticed a difference in your corals growth when useing either the B-ionic or Randy's two part additive? Is one any better than the other?

Thanks,
Joe

I haven't noticed any difference between the two. I used Randy's 2 part much longer. In the long run I noticed more improvement from increasing the frequency of water changes.

boontonbob said:
Bill - I curious what kind of salt you use to allow you to move away from dosing. I have been stock from the Get Tanked group buy. I have had some trouble with calcium encrusting when dosing two part.
Thx

I use the regular Tropic Marin. The key to moving away from dosing was getting on a schedule of weekly 10%-15% water changes.

Brand of salt is important. When I switched from Reef Crystals to TM, keeping the same water change schedule, I got a bump in growth and color. Some will chime in that TM doesn't have as good numbers as other salts. But I believe in letting the corals tell me when they are happy.

Consistency is the most important thing. I don't see much sense in tweaking salts to have higher amounts of a key element than is generally found in natural seawater. If you are getting encrusting, your are pushing carbonate or calcium to some level that the solution can't support. Even natural seawater is already supersaturated on our two favorite elements enabled by magnesium.

In the long run I have found it cheaper and MUCH less labor intensive to change water more frequently than to dose/test/dose while maintaining artificially high levels of CA and alk. but that's just lazy ole me. ;D

blange3 said:
boontonbob said:
Thx
but that's just lazy ole me. ;D
I certainly would not be calling you lazy! That's just a reminder how lazy or to be honest, busy, I have been lately. My water changes have been between one and two months and I have got to do better.

Good info. though. I will be rolling up my sleeves and getting back to more regular changes. I may also move towards Tropic Marin if I don't stick with Get Tanked salt. I recall their pricing for us has moved up substantially

BTW...just saw much typos above. I am glad you were able to translate my butchered typing.