• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Double threaded 3/4 bulkhead

Salted

NJRC Member
Question for you guys, as someone that's still kinda new to this hobby, is a cracked bulkhead common at all? Do the seals eventually get old and start to leak? It would seem that if they do it's a major pita as plumbing is most commonly glued in place. Maybe using threaded fittings as the op did is the better way to go. I have a spare by accident but for the $10 or so it would cost to have one or two and a couple feet of pvc would be a great idea.

Question for you guys, as someone that's still kinda new to this hobby, is a cracked bulkhead common at all? Do the seals eventually get old and start to leak? It would seem that if they do it's a major pita as plumbing is most commonly glued in place. Maybe using threaded fittings as the op did is the better way to go. I have a spare by accident but for the $10 or so it would cost to have one or two and a couple feet of pvc would be a great idea.
Mine cracked due to my error so I'm not sure otherwise as I'm newer as well. I recently had a dino outbreak and added a uv sterilizer to one side of my return plumbing. When I did this I must have over tightened the bulkhead and it cracked which I hadn't even noticed until I got zapped by one of my powerhead controllers that had gotten wet. Thankfully it was the bulkhead that cracked and not the tank.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I really don't want to go to aquatic obsession. I can't leave that place without spending money on corals lol just like going to reefco.
Agree. They carry many plumbing parts. I called them today looking fir a conch, no go. I know I would have spent money as well. LOL

You left us hanging! What happened?
Funny story I received a few bulkheads from my Amazon order but guess what I completely forgot I had a cracked bulkhead and now I have a job to do on Sunday. Lmao I can't believe I forgot about it, well i had got it tightened almost perfectly so it didn't leak anymore (or so I thought) so thats how it slipped my mind. However I just checked and I have a bunch of salt creep coming from the bulkhead. Yup gotta swap it tomorrow. I have spares on hand now!

Agree. They carry many plumbing parts. I called them today looking fir a conch, no go. I know I would have spent money as well. LOL
Hey just a heads up, I know alot of guys wont go anymore with good reason but I recently picked up a fighting conch from acc. Idk if you still go there or not or checked already but if your looking for a conch that may be an option.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Hey just a heads up, I know alot of guys wont go anymore with good reason but I recently picked up a fighting conch from acc. Idk if you still go there or not or checked already but if your looking for a conch that may be an option.
Thanks for the info. Since no one has them, even online, I would buy it from them.

I've seen them in there almost every time I've been there over the past few months so I'd be surprised if they don't have any. I want to say they were like $12 or something like that. Such cool little guys, worth every penny.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I've seen them in there almost every time I've been there over the past few months so I'd be surprised if they don't have any. I want to say they were like $12 or something like that. Such cool little guys, worth every penny.
I was there past few weeks and called, none left.

Damn that's crazy, I'm really surprised. If I find one in my travels I'll pick one up for you. I go all over the place so maybe reefco or absolutely fish will have some. I'll shoot you a text if I find some. Do you care what kind of conch it is?

You got it man, if i find one in person it's yours. I do see kpaquatics.com has fighting conch in stock. I've ordered live rock from them numerous times and they're great to deal with. Its a bit pricey for shipping just one conch and not worth it unless your that desperate lol but if your in the market for any other oddballs it may be worth checking them out as they have all kinds of crazy live stock.