• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dragon-Face PipeFish in Reef tank

I could have sworn I read in one of the posts around here that the dragon-face pipefish is one one of the few that could actually do ok in a reef aquarium, provided no agressive fish bothers it. Was hoping someone could confirm this before I add one. I want to add fish to my system that are both "cool" and utiliarian, so I recently added a small 6-line wrasse for bristleworms, etc..and would like a pipe-fish for redbugs.

I have a pseudocromis...and no bristle worms....but beware that I think 6 line is similar to my guy in that they are a bit aggressive. Pipefish are if I am right pretty docile. Will be interested in what everyone has to say.

i don't think bristleworms are bad, just want to keep the population in check. Plus, it's pretty cool to see my six-line stare at a crevice in the liverock, then yank out a bristleworm.

I think panmatt is the resident guru of pipefishes and seahorses. Hopefully he'll see this thread and post.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes dragon faced pipefish are a reef species and will do well in a reef setting, providing you have no anemones, stinging corals or aggressive fish. Also you will want to make sure you have an ample supply of pods for it to feed on just in case it doesn't accept frozen foods.

The six line should be ok, but they have been known to get aggressive some times.

I have one in my reef and no one bothers him. Aquatic Obsessions has a couple in stock and I was thinking about adding another one because they are definetely a cool fish to watch, but they are so small that they go unnoticed to some people.

Mike, how big are the ones at AqOb? HiddenReef has a few, and they're about 5inches long, as long as the water isn't too cold ;D They were $20.

PanMatt, thx for the info! The LFS told me they wouldn't do well do to the high-flow of a reef tank, so I backed off from buying one.

Phil, my camera is at Aquatic Obsessions so I can't take pics right now.. I'll get it back tomorrow and snap a couple.

Jonathan, the ones at AO are about the same size and I think he has them for $24.