• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Drip drip drip from my bulkhead

IMG_4517leak.jpg

Do I....

a) cut/rip out pvc that was cemented into bulkhead?

b) teflon tape the connection and then cement it again?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is it leaking from the PVC joint or the threads? If it is the threads unscrew, re-tape and try again (Cement? You didn't cement the nut, did you?). If it is from the pipe, you have a couple of options.

joint...it's a slip pvc that is inserted into the bulkhead.

I did not cement the nut.

Thoughts?

I feel like a knucklehead...

Only real way is to start over, new bulkhead etc. With bulk heads, I usually get spares and use the extra nuts over the end where the slip is or the same with internal threads. The walls on them tend to be thinner and by using the extra nuts it prevents cracks.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You want to keep that ball valve, so probably best to "lose" the bulkhead. It looks like you can cut up against the bulkhead and reuse what remains.

If you're brave (and a little crazy) you can cut at the mid-point of the pipe and use a heat gun to pull the PVC out of both sides. That's a whole 'nother set of instructions if you're interested. Not as bad as it sounds, but not without risk of losing the fitting.

@stcreef
yeah - that's what I was afraid of....to the store tomorrow it is then. Thanks.

@phyl

yeah - I am not brave. :p

Will just try and minimize the loss and cut the pvc so that I only lose the bulkhead. Thanks!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you're able to leave enough for pliars to grip while still saving the valve you could give it a try , you could try and hope for the best. :)