• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dry Rock

Any recommendations as to which kind I should get & from where? I've heard pukani from BRS is good. Also, should I cure it? I was told you do not have to cure dry rock. My tank is up & running with livestock.

Dry rock has to be cured. When I set up my 90 I got 100 lbs if Pukani and only could fit about 2/3 of it. They have a very good video on their site about Pukani. They give you a bunch of tips and tricks. I used every one they said and it isn't that hard at all. It also looks very natural.

I bet you would have some left. I think there is a price break at 50lbs. Also make sure you tell them your tank size and what size you are looking for. Some of the pieces they sent me were HUGE. Watch the video on it. It is very cool!

About a month. Even though it is dry rock it is full of all kinds of dead little critters that you need to get off.

I bought the Pukani from BRS on three separate occations. After the first one, I realized that it needs some work before you can use it. Although its dry, there is still a lot of organic matter attached to it. I would remove as much of it as you can, while it's dry, and then place it in some tap water to allow it to re-hydrate for a couple of days, then hose it off as best you can. Then place it in a tub/container with a solution of about 50/50 water/vinegar, with a PH for about two more days, hose it off again, and place it in another container/tank with freshly made SW, and allow it to cure, for about a month, before placing it in your DT. I did weekly WC's during this time, using the water from my DT. If you have to do it in stages, don't reuse the vinegar/water solution, since it will have been weakened by the process...make a fresh solution for each batch.

dry rock is dry rock. Has nothing living in or on it so i would go with the cheapest u can find, Unless u have a certain look u want. u have to cycle it. If u were looking for live rock it would b a different story.

dry rock is dry rock. Has nothing living in or on it so i would go with the cheapest u can find, Unless u have a certain look u want. u have to cycle it. If u were looking for live rock it would b a different story.

I think it goes a bit farther then that. Some dry rock has not been cleaned and does in fact still have organic matter on it. There are others out there that are cleaned and can in fact be added to the system without worrying about throwing it into a cycle. Though it still need to be done in small amounts.

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think it goes a bit farther then that. Some dry rock has not been cleaned and does in fact still have organic matter on it. There are others out there that are cleaned and can in fact be added to the system without worrying about throwing it into a cycle. Though it still need to be done in small amounts.

I agree with this. I know of several people that will bleach bath dry rock before adding it to their system. I will be doing the same when I upgrade.

When i say dry rock i mean a rock that has been out of the water long enough for everything to die and basically u just have the rock left, no sign of anything dead on or in it. So this would be ok to add to the tank.

Dry rock is not all the same. the reef rock product we sell is all natural reef rock that has been through an extensive cleaning process. there is no death decay or anything else on it. It can be tanked in an existing system with no ill effects. no nitrates no phosphates no curing no rinsing or bleaching. strait into your tank ...