• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ds4x4's Perfecto 220g Build

Since the tank comes in the basement tomorrow I want to start this build thread. I going to layout my ideas and what i think I'm trying to do and make happen. Everything is open to your opinions and criticism. I am here to learn as well maybe teach a few people in the process.. Nothing is set in stone. I have a few ideas that i want to keep a secret for some action for later, a few of the ideas came from Bax and I'm sure he will be happy to see some incorporated into the tank

Perfecto 220g with Dual Corner overflows Still in the bed of the Chevy. the overflows give me 5ft of space between them and each have a pair of holes drilled in the bottom. I don't currently plan on drilling the tank any further.

DSCN1543.jpg
DSCN1547.jpg
DSCN1545.jpg
DSCN1546.jpg

The stand is made from 2x4's and 2x6's with no vertical center brace. it is reinforced underneath with 2x6's bu t a brace my find it's way in there. there is foam glued to the top already and holes cut for the overflows.
DSCN1550.jpg

DSCN1549.jpg

I also got a canopy with the tank that took it's beating getting here from the garden state parkway and the NJ turnpike.
DSCN1548.jpg

I also got 3 VHO Tubes 72" Super Actinic with the tank and a 2 bulb harness/endcaps.

DSCN1557.jpg
DSCN1558.jpg

here is the temp/perm spot for the tank don't mind the before junk.
DSCN1554.jpg
DSCN1559.jpg
DSCN1560.jpg

The ultimate plan is to have a Den/fish room for the tank setup and we may possibly be getting into Diving. That will be tested here soon. I have a full basement on 3/4 of the house. The addition in the 70's/80's was a dining room, kitchen and dormer/master bedroom (2nd floor). about a 20X20 section at least. IF the foundation goes as deep as the rest of the house i will be cutting a doorway and digging the crawlspace out by hand then concreting it in.

The proposed doorway
DSCN1552.jpg

crawlspace
DSCN1555.jpg

DSCN1556.jpg

It's in.. holy mackeral was it heavy for two people. we had to get it out of the truck down some stairs and bilco doors then over to the stand.. a broom handle acted like a roller once we slid it down some ramps into the basement.. phew. time for bed!

DSCN1563.jpg

tomorrow i will be sorting out the plumbing a little and figuring out what i am gunna need then I'll have to change into Diver Dan and clean the inside of the tank :)

I can't belive you got that beast down a flight of steps and bilco doors with only one other person!

Great job!

ds4x4 said:
It's in.. holy mackeral was it heavy for two people. we had to get it out of the truck down some stairs and bilco doors then over to the stand.. a broom handle acted like a roller once we slid it down some ramps into the basement.. phew. time for bed!

DSCN1563.jpg

tomorrow i will be sorting out the plumbing a little and figuring out what i am gunna need then I'll have to change into Diver Dan and clean the inside of the tank :)

You and one other person carried a 220 down stairs?!?!?! :eek:

JRWOHLER said:
You and one other person carried a 220 down stairs?!?!?! :eek:

yes indeed.. My brother was the only one i trusted to help me with such a task, also i couldn't get anyone else to help and temps were in the 30's last night.

also Plans of making a fish/dive room are scrapped :mad: .. Dug a hole outside, foundation hardly goes 2 rows below grade. talk about code in the 70's :eek: now off to see what supplies i need to start plumbing this beast..

Some plumbing plans:

Most of the plumbing for the tank was supplied, it's just a case of realizing how it was setup and repairing some breaks. I'm going to measure under the cabinet, but i think i'm going to try and go with a 120-150gal sump/fuge or a slightly smaller sump and external fuge. 100-150gal seems to be the norm for tanks in this range maybe a little overkill but that would bring my total water in the ballpark of 400gal after a topoff setup.

there is a two direction return on each of the overflows which i will be using. I won't be drilling this tank in the foreseeable future. Power heads will be providing my additional flow needs, which kind and how big is yet to be determined.

Brandon

That's the beauty of that tall stand, you can consider a big sump like that and still work in it.

I carried that puppy myself with one other BIG dude! And I am NOT a big dude! But across flat ground, I still can't belive you went down stairs with it!!! :D :eek: 8)

ok so i gotta pick up some plumbing tomorrow. not sure how the first owner had it plumbed but the returns with the ball valves don't fit correctly. maybe it works without the foam pad :dunno:

What size sump do you guys think i should go with? and should it have a fuge or separate? I want to mock up a sump with some extra plywood I have and get this thing plumbed so i can fill it with water to leak test and scrub it down good.

Lighting/Canopy: I have 1' 1/4" between the top of the center brace and the floor joist. Not much room at all.. I have to look up some dimensions to see what's gunna fit. i hope i don't have to build a shorter stand. Bax could you measure the Lumenarcs you have for their Height?

Bax that thing was way heavier than i thought. of course a forklift was used :-X ;D. once we started it out of the bed i didn't think the two of us were gunna make it. Good thing we're both into reef tanks or i think he'd of not come over

malulu

NJRC Member
you probably should consider to shorten the stand, with that little head room, it is going to be tough to get the light in, even you managed to get it in, it would be trouble due to too close to the water surface and will have water splash, then eventually salt build up and will get stuck between glass, making it very hard to replace bulb...etc.

I have my light sit about 3-inch high up on the tank, and i have to clean the glass about every two weeks or so, or i would have problem.

good luck on your adventure...
:D

got some plumbing today.. Anyone know where to get the Bulkheads? i think they are 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 at the biggest. LFS didn't have them i'll call around at work. I need two

i got mine at aquatic obsessions but that may be a hike for you. I've ordered online for other plumbing items from savko.com (and they definitely have bulkheads).

bulkreefsupply is another site other reefers use.

awesome you got the bulkhead from wil at the swap!

oh and you caught me red-handed in bax's thread. It was a compliment and while I know you realize that - i just want to say - "you are da man" for carrying a 220 downstairs with one other guy!!!!

(or you're just crazy obsessed!!!). ;D

I think we may have found a bulkhead in DE at a pond place.. Got half the family looking local for it, Noone has it. I wish i woulda made it to the swap and never made it to Jackson since it rained.

I was determined not to leave the tank outside in the cold again since bax had it climate controlled. My brother and I have the itch for SW so..... ok you caught me :)

On Topic.. Saturday i'm geting a hand and going to cut the stand down so i can build a canopy to house the VHO tubes and MH's.. I was going to go with a Single Pendant then use a Light trolly to move the light back and forth across the top of the tank. Should I go with 250watt or 400watt.. the tank is 30" deep

this is what I was thinking Bax..
http://www.specialty-lights.com/10910.html
http://www.specialty-lights.com/10899.html

Linear Light Movers increase your plant grow light coverage area. The 6 rpm light mover motor moves your plant grow light back and forth on a light rail track in 6 minutes. A stall switch allows you to stall the light at either end of the track for up to 60 seconds. The fast movement allows you to get the lamp closer to your plants for more light intensity and increased growth without heat damage. This light mover motor has adjustable stops to set the movement from 1 inch to full travel.

I am big on the light rail idea. I do need to look into the available units and do more research, but I feel it is the most efficient use of light. The next tank I put together will have lighting based around a light rail.

I'd use one Lumenarc reflector, on the 24" tank, a mini (the size I have on my 120) may be the best choice to allow room for the supplemental lighting. The LA mini provides plenty of light spread.