• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DSB ? YES, No , Maybe?

I just added a bigger sump to my system. It was a 29g, now I switched to a 40 breeder so I could have a nice size refugium. How beneficial would a deep sand bed be in the refugium section? Display is 120g bare bottom, is it really worth it? should i just leave the refugium bare bottom as well and put in some cheato? - Not many responses over at the RC, thought I would try my luck here.

By definition a refugium is geared for pod production. A DSB doesn't enhance pod production in my opinion. At least, not as much as say a bunch of LR rubble in the same volume.

A deep sand bed in refugiums has come along lately and is kindof a hybrid of what the sump/refugium was supposed to be (again my opinion). You can put one in there - but I don't think the bed can be maintained via fauna (like in the display) and in the long run may produce more problems then helping with nitrate reduction. Frankly it makes a lot of sense in the display (again my opinion) but the arguments are not as compelling in a sump.

I'd place cheato and some rock rubble for pod production.

i have a 55g refugium with a 4 inch DSB (live sands), chaeto & calupera, and about 50lbs of LR (large pieces as well as rubble). the fuge is filled with pods! i keep the tank lit with atinics 24/7 and never do single to it. this is completely seperate from my sump (also 55g). this method works for me.