• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DURSO TUNING help

OK I HAVE A 265 DISPLAY WITH A CALI OVERFLOW ABOUT 4FT LONG CENTERED ON THE BACK WALL. I HAVE 2, 1 INCH PIPES WITH DUSO'S FITTED ON BOTH I PUT A SMALL HOLE LIKE 1/16 OF AN INCH IN BOTH DURSO'S I SEEM TO BE GETTING MORE AIR THAN WATER THREW THE RETURN TO THE SUMP WHICH IS 2 INCH PIPE. IVE TRYED TO TURN DOWN THE FLOW AT THE END OF THE RETURN TO THE SUMP BUT THAT DOESN'T WORK. IVE TRYED TO MAKE THE HOLES IN THE DURSO BIGGER DID NOT WORK. I PUT VALVES IN THE DURSO'S TO TUNE THEM STILL DONT WORK PLEASE HELP IS MY RETURN PIPE BEING 2 INCHES TO LARGE FOR THE SYSTEM. THATS WHAT I WAS GONNA DO NEXT. THANKS BOBB

You have to start with the smallest possible hole first.then go a little larger and a little larger and a little larger until you have the quietest flow possible to match your return pumps output..
It is a little of a tedious process but once you get it you got it...
It took me a few trys and a few caps till I got my systems tuned in...
And I run external standpipes with internal calflo overflows..
Both my tanks are in my living room and people are surprized how quiet the tanks are...

2" in large but you have a fairly large set-up...
Good Luck!!! You will get it...

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lord Viper said:
Do you think I should make the holes in the top of the durso's bigger there 1/16 now

No.  You want the smallest hole you can use that allows the water to begin to syphon.

I'm also a little confused.  At first you say they are one inch pipes and then you say they are two inch pipes. 

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think I see your problem with all the air. You are going from a 1” diameter pipe, under siphoning free flow to a 2” diameter pipe. That is a four fold increase in area and with simple free flow, it turns into a mixing chamber. The 1 inch column of water meets, in effect, 3 inches of air column. I’ve got to believe you are still getting the full flow from a 1 inch pipe, just all churned up with air. If you want to minimize the air, run 1 inch all the way into the sump.

Oh now I get more understanding of what the whole issue is also!
I agree 300% with redfishbluefish ....
Why a doing that 2" pipe? Are you using it tto try and do an anti- splash thing?
Just remove it maybe throw some kind of 200micron filter bag with a holder in there instead that will quiet in down also and polish the water...
I cut a 45 degree angle just directly above the sumps water line on the end of my pipes (This helps to let any air that is trapped to come out) and put in filter bags and it is quiet and I have dual 1" overflow drains with a Mag 18 as a return pump on a 75 set-up.

OK I kinda thought that but wanted to ask more opinions on it That is Bigger is not always better, thanks guys I will try it do you think 1.5" is ok Because I have 2-1" dursos in the over flow Or should I keep it all 1"

I changed out the 2 inch pipe for 1.5 and man does that make a difference the flow threw the pipe is unreal and its all water not so quite but can really hear it out of the equipment room. so thank guys for all you comments they really helped. Bobb