• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dwarf Angel in a 30g?

horseplay

NJRC Member
Is it going to work? I have always wanted a lemonpeel I know it's one of the larger species. I have a pair of Cinnamon clowns (still small), large royal gramma, and a demselfish. The royal gramma just stays in its cave most of the time.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I think 30g for that fish is to small. I think literature states at least 50g for a lemonpeel.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Lemon peel is a bit too large for a 30 in my opinion. but angels are rather mellow, as long as you have a good amount of rock, why not try it- you coould always rehome it- you could easily have a flameback or a pigmy- they're much smaller. I have a coral beauty, flameback and a pigmy in my 75g

Last edited:

horseplay

NJRC Member
Got it. probably not a good idea. Just want a yellow one. Maybe I get lucky and find a small one.

LiveAquaria have all of them listed minimum tank size 70g, except for the pigmy.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I take the recommendatios with a grain of salt- most say angels aren't reef safe and that they are territorial- I only have softies and mine don't go near any., as far as being territorial- that seems to be junk to me, they are all over the tank picking at rocks and sand- the pygmy chases the flameback a bit- I think it's more about 'who's top dog'- nothing serious and they both leave the CB alone. I think if you can get a small one you'll be good for at least a while- I know lemon peals are tough to get to eat at first though

horseplay

NJRC Member
Yeah I think the small ones will work for a while. The are aggressive to each other. But tend to sort out the hierarchy after a while. My demsel is super territorial but now submissive to the clownfish.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Yeah I think the small ones will work for a while. The are aggressive to each other. But tend to sort out the hierarchy after a while. My demsel is super territorial but now submissive to the clownfish.
I had a fiji devil in the tank along with a pink and a talbot- the fiji ruled the tank until the pygmy took over harassed the devil to death