• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Eagle Reef Systems In Hillsborough

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I stopped at Eagle Reefs this weekend.

I would recommend stopping there if you never have before. His prices are pretty decent, comparable to Tropiquarium. His stock is in excellent condition and Bob is a really nice guy.

I got a barred goby to sift the sand in my FOWLR there a few weeks ago. I'll be heading up there the next check I get as I have an empty QT tank.

I second Bob being a nice guy. This place is quickly moving to the top of my list.

Do they have a large selection? How are they priced? Is it a large store? Sorry to ask but I live about an hour away from them and have a 6 month old so it has to be worth it for me to verture out. Thanks for the help ;)

If you were ever at The Reefs Inc. in Greenbrook, it is very similar.

It is a reef and saltwater fish only store. Not a lot of equipment on display, lots of livestock. Only Tropiquarium and Absolutely Fish would have more of a selection, and not by much.

Went there on Sunday. The tanks look nice and they are in the process of setting up a few more. They were doing the plunbing and the place stunk like PVC cement. It didn't bother me but the $75 for a 2" Lemon Peel did. I bought one at Absolulty Fish about 6 months ago for $40.

We were there this weekend. It's a nice set up, reef and SWF only as mentioned earlier in this post.

Pricing was reasonable to high. He has some zoos and ricordias that I thought were totally overpriced, but then I got another piece and was surprised how cheap it was. You have to know your prices, but overall I would say he was fair.

The tanks are very clean, but we did get a juvenille yellow box fish that showed some white spots on it when we got him home. He took him back no problem the next day and put the full credit towards a red goniopora instead.

Speaking of the Red Goni...he has one there that is AMAZING! It's huge, probably about 12 - 15 inches in diamater and completely covered with stalks, and a little hole in the middle of the rock. So it's a funky red donut of a rock. The price was $250 which is actually awesome when you consider that we got a much smaller one for $90...after pricing around.

Too bad we could never fit that sucker in our tank. But someone will be in heaven. I saw it completely open, it's beyond impressive.

The place is a Nano keepers dream too. Lots of small frags.

I have to say, Eagle is one of the cleanest places that I have visited.
I have bought a pair of maroon clowns from him as well as a few corals and a starfish. I had actually bought a green carpet anemone that was beautiful, but my other fish could not seem to stay away from it and were getting stung constantly. Bob took the anemone back and just for that gesture, he gets a slice of my business. No problems, no complaints.

Kenny Z.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Awesome! Finally a friggin store in my neck of the woods.

The best place I've found so far around here has been a Petco, believe it or not. Best selection, prices, and even the best LR I've seen for sale.

Actually, if I may edit my post, while they had lots of good stuff in there, the guy didn't really give me the time of day, and the one fish I asked for a price on was about double that of what I've seen before.

A True Perc (clownfish) for $59.95 seems a little excessive.

Anyway, the equipment there was top notch, but I don't think I'll be spending any money there, based on my experience.

I did find it interesting that he had a thompsoni tang (like mine) there. I heard they were rare, but that's 2 I've seen in as many weeks.

:)

Great Place....

His live stock is in the best condition and the cleanest reef swf store I've seen. It's a couple of minutes from me and I've watched his tanks go from brand new to today's great condition.

As others stated Bob is a nice guy and it is his hobby first.

Compared to other shops - it's worth the trip there.

Subliminal said:
Awesome! Finally a friggin store in my neck of the woods.
Subliminal are you saying you don't know other LFS in our area other than Bob's(Eagle Reefs) and Petco? Because there are 2 places on rt.22 not all too far away that carry corals, although they are hit or miss.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Well, even 22 isn't in my neck of the woods. It takes me about 30 minutes to get to 22 and another few to a shop. Woodbridge is at least 30-45 mins away.

Hillsborough is like 10 minutes from me. Although, i don't think I'll be returning to 'bob's', but that's just me. I'm sure he can be a nice guy if he wants, but he sure didn't have any interest in helping me when i walked in.

Yeah, when I first started going there he didn't treat me like a valued customer, but once you invest a little in a piece at his store he begins to warm up to you. He quality is outstanding though, so it might be worth the cold shoulder once in a while if you're new to him.

arvin

NJRC Member
You are right Chrowski. I have been to this store couple of months ago and had a very forgettable experience.

Btw, welcome to NJRC and enjoy your stay here!

Subliminal

NJRC Member
chrowski said:
Yeah, when I first started going there he didn't treat me like a valued customer, but once you invest a little in a piece at his store he begins to warm up to you. He quality is outstanding though, so it might be worth the cold shoulder once in a while if you're new to him.

While I see where you're coming from, I just don't agree. I'm not going to pay a premium price to someone who doesn't give me the time of day for something I can get somewhere else from someone who actually treats me like...well, like you should treat anyone...

I guess I can see frustration in having someone seemingly give you the cold shoulder. However, I try to remind myself that a large part any retailers business is service, and they don't charge you to have a conversation. I can almost understand a retailer not "giving the store away" answering questions to someone who may never spend a dime. I am with you in that I appreciate politeness and a friendly atmosphere, but at the same time, I would rather invest a few dollars and in return receive solid advise and build a customer/retailer relationship, than have a friendly relationship with someone who can't answer all my questions.

Just exploring the other side of the coin :)

Kenny Z.

:eek: :mad: I was just in there today and found it to be a nice store. I however paid around $96 bucks for a 55 pound tub of Tropic Marine sea salt mix. I should have did research online first but I'm fairly new to the hobby so my inexperience got me today. Nice store but last time I go there.

Stopped into Eagle Reef Systems yesterday, a quick stop on my way home from work... That is one clean shop with impressive displays. I tried to be as friendly as possible and hopefully start a relationship with him. I told him that I found out about his shop on NJ Reefers forum. I told him that I live north (Turns out, he lives in the town next to me.) I went in there planning on spending some money so I don't get the reputation of being the guy who is just visiting every time. I explained to him that I have just setup a 20g nano with the plans on upgrading in the future... I told him of my past aquarium experience, thinking he would see me as a great repeat customer. I even complimented him on his storefront. He seemed disinterested in listening to me, but I told him anyway.

I really do want to be a customer however.......

I did leave with a bitter taste in my mouth after purchasing two very small pieces of live rock which ended up being 2# worth at 15.00/# and 3 snails @ 2.95ea for a total of $39.00. (I never inquired about price on anything and $39.00 really isn't that much money to start a business relationship) I assume he saw a guy in a suit, with a big fat wallet instead of a fellow Reefer looking to start a relationship.

Personally, as a business man, I think I would have seen the long-term opportunity in me and not gouge my eyes out on my 1st visit.... Maybe $8.00/# for the rock and a $2.00ea for the snails... either way, I graciously paid, thanked him and said I'll be back...

Back I will be, even though I feel as though I've been taken for a ride. Why? Because it's a nice shop and because of others who posted on this thread who say you need to build a relationship with him... I've been hoping I can find a LFS who will know me by first name, provides me with quality live stock at fair prices and I'm willing to try to earn that rather then just expect it.

I've seen way to many REEF Specialized stores go out of business. I'm going to bite the bullet on this one and attempt to support him and see if it pays off in the future.

I have to admit that the two small pieces of LR that I purchased were coralline covered with at least 3 species, with a number of nice thick tube worms and even a small crab (not sure that's a good thing but I left him alone for right now), rather then LR acting as a filtration system under no lighting and filled with deitrius.

Last time I was there, which was 4-5 months ago, they were quite pricey. However, since only half of the store was set, at the time, it is possible that that was because they have just started the business and haven't stabilized their inventory.

Way too much attitude from Bob. He is knowledegeable but not willing to share unless you spend significant money. Also, very opinionated. I have learned in my short experience that there are multiple solutions and set-ups not just one (his way).