• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Early build stages

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Justifying to by a jump on this build.
Not sure how to plumb this tank. Any help appreciated.
Been told to cap the bottom 4 holes but seems crazy if I can use them.
Searching I could not find this setup.
So should I use two pumps? 1 for sump and 2nd external for closed loop?
Or
One big pump in sump with many T's for all 6 holes with gate valves?

Attachments

• 20190807_143530 (1).jpg
    20190807_143530 (1).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 26
So if two pumps how does this work?
What hole is the drain?
Lol. Need to know your layout. Take more pics and pm me a sketch of what you want to do. Busy this weekend so can’t shoot over but if you got time I can help you with layout. Just don’t have time to do build. Freddy is next But should be able to figure it with just a little more info.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Matt, still need to build the offuce. Which is idiosyncrasies than the tank build.
Just trying to get a plan in place to avoid problems or delays.

I would use those holes for a closed loop setup run the return line up the back of the tank and over the side and in. If you use any of those hole for the return when you shut the pump off half the tank will drain out unless you use a check valve but I dont trust them. Or you could use two of the higher ones and extend the lines up to the waterline inside the tank.

Last edited:
Completely agree. It’s why I want more pics. Not sure if there are any overflows. Or if we could add one if needed.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
There is one external over flow.
Mrx did not think of that. Now I'm nervous using the tank.

Attachments

• 20190116_180634.jpg
    20190116_180634.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
No more holes. Not comfortable already with 6. I have found closed loop with our overflow. They use an OM on top if return pump. It switches from one outlet to another. See attached.
What I also can figure out is his the flow should be on this. Normal nozzles? People gave ran PVC on tank bottom an pointed them different angles.
Has to be right 1st around.

Attachments

• IMG_2818.jpeg
    IMG_2818.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 6
When I had it my plan was to use an oceans motion's like you just posted. And I was going to drill the top for returns or I was going to use the outer 2 but have a 90 out of the bulkhead (inside the tank) to the waterline and have that be the return. this what theres no water drop and no syphon when power fails.

As for the closed loop my plan was to use the bottom 2 holes and ties them together as an Intake for the circulation pump basically making a T, and on the inside use an elbow in each and use a mesh or perforated pipe as the draw, the reason I was going to use 2 is so it doenst create a strong suction by the pump and trap fish or inverts to it. And for the returns of the closed loop my plan was to have 2 return through the back(upper 2 center) with a y on each to direct flow. And then have 2 returns go over the top to the front to push towards the back from the front.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
This may be more than I can comprehend or build.
May have bit more off than I can chew.

This may be more than I can comprehend or build.
May have bit more off than I can chew.
stop being a mad scientist. You have plenty of time to work this out. Just the fact that you are here and asking great questions says your prepared. Clearly you are getting great advice in just one day. You haven’t even built the space it’s going in yet. Plus there is always time to give up later. Hahaha. But now is not the time. In the end. It’s just plumbing and flow. As long as it’s plumbed correctly.Things like valves and unions will allow control and change. And modern equip like DC pumps will allow you to not worry about how much flow and pressure you need because of the ease of adjustment

stop being a mad scientist. You have plenty of time to work this out. Just the fact that you are here and asking great questions says your prepared. Clearly you are getting great advice in just one day. You haven’t even built the space it’s going in yet. Plus there is always time to give up later. Hahaha. But now is not the time. In the end. It’s just plumbing and flow. As long as it’s plumbed correctly.Things like valves and unions will allow control and change. And modern equip like DC pumps will allow you to not worry about how much flow and pressure you need because of the ease of adjustment
This couldn't be more true. Baby steps. Compartment the different jobs into smaller systems and do them individually.

And its true with dc pumps you could do 2 separate coated loop systems. One for each side. Or you could decide not to do a closed loop at all. Put bulk heads in and put plugs in them. Either way, it's a complete low iron tank itll look amazing when done.