• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Easiest begiiner SPS?

orange monitipora cap coral.
idaho grape montipora cap coral.
i also believe the orange montipora digitata is indestructible.

heck almost all montis are fairly easy to keep. I think sunny had a sunrise montipora that overran his other corals.

The stick that i think is fairly easy would be the Red Table Planet coral - red coral, and if the condition are right, a green base.

People also say birdsnest is easy but i was never able to get it to color the way i've seen it on pics.

oh yeah - herb's green poccillopora...that stuff was not possible to kill. Sandy did it in for me - but when i had it - it truly was put it in and forget about it lol.

I can't believe nobody mentioned green slimer.

For what it's worth my first three SPS were green slimer, orange cap, and monti spongeods. All three were fast growers for me and IMO all three have a stand out look.

Monti, all types. Birdsnest can be tricky believe it or not. Pocilopora is also very easy. Green was my first sps and I.still have it.today after a alk crash and two tank moves

Sent from my galaxy s4

Good to know. I don't know why I was so afraid to try SPS in the past. Maybe because I always thought I didn't have enough lighting with the T5's I was running. Now that I've moved on to LED's, I should be good on that.

Good to know. I don't know why I was so afraid to try SPS in the past. Maybe because I always thought I didn't have enough lighting with the T5's I was running. Now that I've moved on to LED's, I should be good on that.

Even t5 would of been fine for what was listed and probably more. I can give you a poci frag if you wanna try sps out

Sent from my galaxy s4

T5 is what I use and I have no desire to switch. And to add to what Kyle offered I can get you a piece of orange cap to play with too. Grows like a weed for me.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
I have found that more than any factor, stability is the key to maintaining healthy sps. I don't think you need and ultra clean tank with no po4 an no3, just a stable one.

I have found that more than any factor, stability is the key to maintaining healthy sps. I don't think you need and ultra clean tank with no po4 an no3, just a stable one.

+1. Everything started growing well after I got an automatic doser.

Montipora digitata are easy and fast growers.