• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

easiest way to remove a sandbed...

I'm in the process of breaking down my tank.
Any ideas of the easiest way to get rid of all my sand?
I'm dreading doing it bucket by bucket.

I was thinking about filling it with a garden hose and
empty it through a reverse siphon into my driveway.
I'm worried about the hose getting clogged with
chunks of live rock.

anyone have a better idea?

Since you are tearing down the tank, and just want to remove it, and you don't need to keep the tank functional, I have found the best way is to siphon out as much water as possible. Then get a small shovel, like you see kids using on the beach, and shovel out the sand into what ever container you want to use. The sandbed is simply a smaller beach, and small shovels are available at any NJ beach town.

The last few grains can be removed using a large sponge, like the sort you'd use for washing a car. Obviously, make sure you get a new sponge for use around the tank, and rinse it out well before use. Natural sponges work very well for this.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Once the tank is empty of water, a small dust pan (preferably plastic) can be used to remove the sand as well. Just be careful not to drag the dust pan up the glass.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Shoot, she beat me to it! The big advantage we've found with plastic dust pans is that they usually have a hollow handle that allows any water to pour out the back while you're scooping up the sand.

The best way I found is leave the water and sand in the tank, use 3/4" clear tubing, put a 5 gallon bucket on the floor, stick one end of the tubing in the tank, give a strong suck on the other end (quickly) then put it into the bucket, siphon the sand out, once the bucket is full of water dump some of the water back into the tank and do whatever you want with the sand. I got almost every bit of sand and didn't have to worry about scratching the glass.

PS
the reason you use 3/4" clear tubing is so you can see if it clogs or you suck up a snail shell.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JohnS_323 said:
Shoot, she beat me to it! The big advantage we've found with plastic dust pans is that they usually have a hollow handle that allows any water to pour out the back while you're scooping up the sand.

John

Seems that happens a lot! :D

Bob

i just did this use a tube and a sponge on the end which goes into tank.. and drain water
scoop up with rubber or pastic dust pan..works great ...why you getting rid of sand ?

I'm breaking my tank down.

you think anyone would be interested in a lot of sand?

it's no longer 'live' cause I used fresh water to clean the tank
so the stuff sticking to the walls won't stink like low tide...
lots of little pods were not happy....

thanks for the suggestions! I've been using a dustpan and a kid shovel.
the sponge on the end of the hose worked great also.

the shop vac would probably be my choice if my kids weren't sleeping when I had to do it.
know anyone who wants a lot of sand/mixed rubble for their tanks?