• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Eco Tech Vortech pump Help

Anyone else out there have these. I have 2 in a 90 fallon Fish only tank. Thought I was getting the best! My problem is the magnet concept. It's make my tank very noisy! The magnets seem not strong enough to really keep the heavy motor out side of the tank in place. If it's not alligned perfect, there is a vibration! I have even tried to remove the spacers/ duct tape it to the back of the tank....I even considering getting rid of them and replacing with a Tunze or something...But they are expensive and How do I know I won't experience the same problem. Can anyone speak from experience...These things move serious water!!! I really like the movement!!! Any advice would be appreciated!!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How thick is your tank? With the proper spacing we haven't had any problem keeping them in place...

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Are they new pumps?

I've had them for a couple of years now without the issues your describing. They have gone through a couple of design changes with the wet side. When properly aligned, they are nearly silent. Have you made contact with their service department? The are real good at helping with problems. service@ecotechmarine.com

Good Luck

Reilly Stv said:
...and replacing with a Tunze or something...But they are expensive and How do I know I won't experience the same problem. Can anyone speak from experience...

I have the tunze magnet attached to a tunze 6060 -no noise whatsoever. Plus Roger @ tunze is a great cust-focused rep. I don't know whether the tunze magnet can help on the vortech - but if that is something you're thinking of - you could ask roger. I don't know if he'd comment since the PH isn't a tunze model.

Good luck!

a tunze magnet wouldnt work on a vortech anyway since the vortec motor is the magnet. If these are new vortechs, give them time. They have a break in period. Everytime I clean mine they make some noise for a day or two. Very very slight adjustments of the outside magnet and then letting them run for a bit before readjusting helps. Also make sure the glass is spotless inside and out. If there is algae between the glass and inside magnet, it will slip out of position. Use a razor. If the magnets were recently cleaned, make sure the little white washer is in its proper place and the magnet bolt is tight. Hope this helps.