• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Electric bill cost

I would like to know about how much does it cost to run a 30 gallon reef tank with all the extras, leds,sump,filters,skimmers,etc...
I want to get everything i need but i dont pay the bills...and its my mother in laws house. I thought i could maintain the tank with what i have, but she always asking how much it cost running lights all day?? Just a round bout figure would help

Would depend on what you are charged per kilowatt hour, too.
(kW/h on your power bill.) Like stated....you prolly wont even notice a difference on the bill unless the setups' pulling more than 1kW.
If I had to guesstimate........ball park.....without knowing kW/h or the demands of your setup (add up the wattage can help)......
MAYBE 20-40 per month. MAYBE. Need to figure out more variables to give a better answer.
(Gear. Demands of the tank. Location of tank. Etc etc etc)

Add up the total wattage of your setup. Everything has a rating. Add em up. Wattage is additive.
Next, check your power bill for what you are charged per kW/h.
Then, do the math.
Should give you an idea on operation cost.

Just throwing out an answer until pros toss in their knowledge.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I’m no pro, but I do have everything plugged into my apex so I can get the usage report. My entire system supporting a 160 gallon display and 45 gallon sump runs about $33 a month. I expect it to go down once the temps come up (it’s in the garage).

Dave

LED lights require very little power, DC pumps much lower. Your heater really won't be on that much. It shouldn't be noticeable. Spending on efficient gear will pay off in the end.