• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Emaciated and Lethargic Valentini

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
Lately, my Valentini has just been lying on the rocks and refusing to eat. His swimming is slow. I was able to get him out of the display and into the hospital tank but not sure what to treat him with. Any suggestions? All other fish and inverts in display are healthy.

I recommend to try live blackworms. Live food can stimulate feeding. Might eat Live brine shrimp, but they have little nutritional value. I find blackworms are very fattening. I happen to have a lfs that stocks them. Not available every where. I did not think they were a saltwater fish food, but Paul B recommends them, and he knows his stuff, so I tried them. Now my fish get them ever other day. They live just long enough to get eaten alive in saltwater.

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
When he was in the display: Any scratching, heavy breathing, head twitching, swimming into the flow of a powerhead or white spots??

If none of the above, then there's nothing you can really do because you have no treatable symptoms to go on.

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
He did't survive the weekend, but today, I cought my wrasse swimming vertically . . . I got him the QT tank but how do I treat this? I am worried now that two fish in one week have swimming issues...Is my whole system at risk?

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
He did't survive the weekend, but today, I cought my wrasse swimming vertically . . . I got him the QT tank but how do I treat this? I am worried now that two fish in one week have swimming issues...Is my whole system at risk?

Head up or head down? The former would be a symptom of a spinal injury; the latter could mean a swim bladder disorder.

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
Head up. My cousin is a vet and offered to take a look at it tomorrow. I care less about the wrasse and more about the rest of the tank...