• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Emerald Crab

when my bubble algae was gone mine had gone pale white, but after I started feeding algae sheets it greened up again. Probably was starving and either would’ve died or found a taste for coral. Either way algae sheets 2-3 times a week worked well, and the crab kept scouring the rocks too.

Actually prior to algae sheets I’d feed it strings of chaeto from my fuge. Then I read that doesn’t allow the nutrients to export so I switched to the nori.

I rubber band it to a small rock and put that on the substrate.
The chaeto I’d just use tongs to dangle in front of the crab, or pin it under a rock or in a crevice.

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
In North Jersey and have three in my tank now I bought to take care of some vermetids. If still looking and want to drop by this weekend I'd be happy to sell you one cheap. Provided one is out and about we can get to easily. They are pretty active and see them pretty often, so one at least should be.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
In North Jersey and have three in my tank now I bought to take care of some vermetids. If still looking and want to drop by this weekend I'd be happy to sell you one cheap. Provided one is out and about we can get to easily. They are pretty active and see them pretty often, so one at least should be.
did they actually attack the snails? i had them in my last tank and just got pissed off to the max and reset my tank those things are impossible to kill... somone told me to use a laser haha yah let me go get a laser from walmart haha

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
did they actually attack the snails? i had them in my last tank and just got pissed off to the max and reset my tank those things are impossible to kill... somone told me to use a laser haha yah let me go get a laser from walmart haha
Definitely eliminated the ones I could see. Was skeptical as well, but they worked for me.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have something like 6-7 in my tank. Never see them in the day.
I do find discarded carapaces as they molt and grow, and they look EXACTLY like dead crabs.
At night, if I shine a light around the tank, they're all out, eating, and fighting for rock space.
If you're feeding them, they may well be still alive, growing, and out of sight in the day.

never actually had any luck with emeralds had like 5 now all from petco and all have died after 2-3 months'
Same here... had one guy tho after the first 3 died in roughly 2 months ...this one particular one lasted about a year and was doing great and getting big, one of my fish went nuts and slowly went homicidal in my tank...picked him apart slowly till he was just a torso with no claws or legs... but was still breathing and moving his mouth... I felt bad for him.