• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

End of my Favorite Fish

We had a BBQ on Sunday. I was in the yard with friends and my 13 yr old came out and said "there is some bad news". My Orange Spotted Rabbit Fish lost a battle with an eductor. Found him stuck headfirst in one of the holes that suck in extra water to increse the flow. My best guess is that he found a bit of hair algae to graze on and before he knew it got caught up in the suction.

Very sad - my first loss. It upset me more than I would have expected.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear about you losing your fish. They are beautiful fish.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear that Lou. It's a shame losing your favorites like that.

I'm glad you posted this, though. I picked up a pair of those eductors a few weeks ago and have been dragging my feet about installing them. I think I may be glad that I waited.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear this. I haven't ever lost my favorite fishes yet, but I can just imagine how you feel.

Sorry about the Rabbit Fish. Losing fish to stuff like that and carpet-surfing are tough to take. I removed my eductors a long time ago for this reason, and I'm dragging my feet on installing closed loops.

Thanks to all - I guess it's an unavoidable downside to a great hobby.

I do like the Eductors though. I've been thinking about covering the killer holes with a mesh of some sort - maybe so of the wife's old pantyhose. I'm sure it would clog over time but it also be very simple to replace and I could keep my flow going.

Any ideas??

Lou

I would use that stuff that they do cross stich with. It is like a plastic material with a bunch of tiny little holes in it. Not sure what it is called.

Excellent Idea!!!!!!!!!!! and beleive or not my wife does cross stitch and needle point. Wonder if she'll miss a small piece of backing.....?