• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Equipment price increases?

Salted

NJRC Member
Just curious, as I don't buy a real lot of equipment, are equipment prices going up? I've been adding to my system a little at a time as money allows, weather used or on sale. I added my sump around xmas, then got an inkbird, then a new brs heater to fit the sump. Anyway, I only bought one heater and planned on buying another when I could. Anyway, the first heater bought a couple months ago was $43, went to buy another yesterday and now they're $75 :( . That's almost double. I wouldn't have made a post if it had gone up $5 or $10. So are prices going up? I've been wanting a spare return pump and power head. Should I make an effort to get spares now or did I just happen across an odd item that suddenly jacked way up?

Just curious, as I don't buy a real lot of equipment, are equipment prices going up? I've been adding to my system a little at a time as money allows, weather used or on sale. I added my sump around xmas, then got an inkbird, then a new brs heater to fit the sump. Anyway, I only bought one heater and planned on buying another when I could. Anyway, the first heater bought a couple months ago was $43, went to buy another yesterday and now they're $75 :( . That's almost double. I wouldn't have made a post if it had gone up $5 or $10. So are prices going up? I've been wanting a spare return pump and power head. Should I make an effort to get spares now or did I just happen across an odd item that suddenly jacked way up?
The prices are always going up in this hobby unfortunately. And COVID has only made it so much worse. A Jebao pump i bought back in January of last year was $40. They're now at $90+

I honestly think it is the MAP (Minimal advertisable price) pricing. This method of blackmail by the companies that force stores to choose between serving the best interest of the clients vs carrying the products their clients' want is just a brutal cycle. This also keeps the resale market very inflated as well for in demand products because the resales know they don't really have to compete with some sort of upcoming holiday sale. Very vicious microeconomic escalation of prices. It accomplishes the very thing that the MAP was meant to do...keep prices higher across the market and reduce competition based on pricing. Unfortunately, one of the downsides of capitalism...pricing usually goes to the price point that the market will bear and the seller's desired level of profitability..even if that price is up.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Dec 2020 I saw Vipraspectre 165w lights for $60. I decided to wait until after the Holidays and when I went to but them $120 so did double.
I did not purchase any but may have to bite the bullet as the internal timer for mine are not working properly. I have to set the clock each morning.

Dec 2020 I saw Vipraspectre 165w lights for $60. I decided to wait until after the Holidays and when I went to but them $120 so did double.
I did not purchase any but may have to bite the bullet as the internal timer for mine are not working properly. I have to set the clock each morning.
They say inflation is starting to take hold; and honestly, inflation is the only way that our debts (national, state and personal) will ever be paid...if at all.

I was looking at those vipraspectre but didnt see enough chatter if they would support SPS so I passed on them for the ridiculously expensive radions and a AL hybrid!! I am monitoring all of the reef stores every day hoping either for a sale (not likely) or a reasonably priced open box return.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
They say inflation is starting to take hold; and honestly, inflation is the only way that our debts (national, state and personal) will ever be paid...if at all.

I was looking at those vipraspectre but didnt see enough chatter if they would support SPS so I passed on them for the ridiculously expensive radions and a AL hybrid!! I am monitoring all of the reef stores every day hoping either for a sale (not likely) or a reasonably priced open box return.
I had and have(1) these and others here as well have or had them. They can grow SPS coral. Not much control but they work well and not expensive.
I two keep looking for sales/discounts or even used lights.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Everything goes up, a good economy needs inflation. My grandparents went out for a night at Coney Island for less than a quarter on their first date...

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Equipment prices can fluctuate like that depending on availability. If they went out of stock sometimes the numbers jump up an insane amount. I would choose one or two stores and give them a call and ask. They may be able to get you on a waiting list or at least give you the correct information on the price.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Lol. About the same as insulting someone then saying no offense? :p
Just try not to start a debate or something. We have been in QE mode since 2008 financial crisis and there is always a fire to put out. Agreed the debt is not going to get paid the only way out is inflation.

Went to a fish store yesterday and I was appalled by the prices of these fish. $129 for a flame angel!

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I work in internal logistics (shipping and receiving) at one of the largest flavor and fragrance company in the world and the struggles logistically that we've had to overcome in the last year are unprecedented. From raw material shortages to trucking companies unable to meet our demands. And because of this we are paying more to have these materials expedited and unfortunately we have to pass that onto the customer. Are Coca Cola, Starbucks, Revlon, Bath and Body Works etc. happy about this? Of course not but then they have to then pass it on ultimately to the consumer. It's a trickle down effect in the wrong sense.

A lot of the stuff in this hobby seems to be super overpriced only because of how little competition there is. Take in the ecotech pumps for example. Absolutely insane that they charge $400+ for every individual pump when it's a cheap piece of plastic with a magnet. All because there's no other like it. It's either them or something else. These companies are absolutely out of control. Covid May have something to do with some of the price increase, but a lot of these products have been overpriced from the beginning

A lot of the stuff in this hobby seems to be super overpriced only because of how little competition there is. Take in the ecotech pumps for example. Absolutely insane that they charge $400+ for every individual pump when it's a cheap piece of plastic with a magnet. All because there's no other like it. It's either them or something else. These companies are absolutely out of control. Covid May have something to do with some of the price increase, but a lot of these products have been overpriced from the beginning
As a free market capitalist...I believe in one and only one way of making the price come down....dont buy it. If enough people say no thank you, price concession inducements will follow.

The price of the Tunze Osmulator auto top off went up 10 bucks in the last week. I am happy that I got it at the 15% off the old price from Premium Aquatics 25th anny sale. I wonder if there is a price tracker anywhere on these.