• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Equipment setup/power strips

Does any one know whats the best way to set up all your equipment. The reason i ask just read the post on a power strip that went up in a cloud of smoke. My problem is i dont have that many outlets to cover all of the equipment i have. So i have a power strip on one outlet and another power strip on the 2nd outlet. Still not enough jacks to cover all equipment so i have another powerstrip connected to one of the first power strips. Is this ok i know im not the only one with this problem or should i get power strips that have more outputs to plug in.

Yea but does it cover all of your equipment.. I most have at leat 25 things that need to get pluged in. I know its not a good idea to plug power strips into power stips.

well let me list: light 4 plugs, 3fans,2 heaters 1 backup, chiller,mag drive,, wavemaker with 2 powerheads, skimmer,uv light,1 light in stand,1 fluval. and there might be one or two more things that im forgetting. But alot of the stuff is low power consumption and are not always on.

To be honest thats the last thing i want to do call an electrician. It never has driped the breaker until the other day when my girl deceided to blow dry her hair. The light takes up alot of the outlets. Maybe ill think about that when i move like in two months. That a day im not looking forward too.

a pair of DJ panels would have 16 outlets. You don't need to plug in the chiller/fans while the heaters are plugged in.

saltwaterguy112 said:
well let me list: light 4 plugs, 3fans,2 heaters 1 backup, chiller,mag drive,, wavemaker with 2 powerheads, skimmer,uv light,1 light in stand,1 fluval. and there might be one or two more things that im forgetting. But alot of the stuff is low power consumption and are not always on.

To be honest thats the last thing i want to do call an electrician. It never has driped the breaker until the other day when my girl deceided to blow dry her hair. The light takes up alot of the outlets. Maybe ill think about that when i move like in two months. That a day im not looking forward too.

I would figure out the wattage that you are using and go from there. From the total wattage we can figure out current draw.

The DJ panels sounds like it'll be your best bet. When I go big I'm either going to use them or do a similar DIY job.

Im going to look into that yea i know the chiller doesnt come on now so its not in use as well as the heater are not going to be on in the summer. Where can i purchase a DJ and are they expensive? Thanks guys

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
saltwaterguy112 said:
Im going to look into that yea i know the chiller doesnt come on now so its not in use as well as the heater are not going to be on in the summer. Where can i purchase a DJ and are they expensive? Thanks guys
Some chillers have a outlet on them to plug in the heater so it controls both.

Bob