• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ESV salt

howze01

NJRC Member
I'm switching over to ESV. Got a box from OGII at a great price so I figured why not?

So, for anyone using it, how do you mix it? I know weight is more accurate than volume but I don't have a digital scale that I would trust. Anyone have any suggestions for a good scale?

Thanks!

howze01

NJRC Member
I was looking for a more...... expert opinion. Maybe someone that has been using it for more than......5 hours? Thanks for your input though.

howze01

NJRC Member
In case anyone thinks I was just being mean to GSW, he was sitting 5 feet away from me and we were laughing about it.

If you had good results it counts Brandon! Did you do volume or weight?

I had very good results, I used volume but here's the secret cause I wasted my first 30-40g.

And it's a pita but you need the actual volume of the container to get it spot on.

For example I use a 33g brute can, now I only fill it up to 30g. Initially I thought I was filling it only 25g or so since I never measured. Yeah did that twice wasted like 40g.

What I did to be smart and it's a bit of a pita is I got an actual 1 gallon jug and counted the pours until I was at spot I'm comfortable in my mixing container without splashing all over the floor.

Once you do that and know exact volume then mixing in the component of the salts by volume is 1,2,3.

That was a big pita I grossly miscalculated my volume blah.

Anyway I recommend doing that then mix up per directions. After test your water, I mixed up 30g before I left for Ohio.

Salinity 1.25
Cal 450
Alk 9
Mag 1400
Temperature 78

Now make sure you check total RO volume column, don't to by the first column. You'll see it says final batch size there that's after adding the salt mix!!!

Here is a good link of how I learnedhttp://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852499

Here is what I do now.
I went to the local Chinese resturant and asked them to buy 10 large and 10 small soup containers. I premeasure by weight 10 gallon of the salt and Mag and just have that on hand. I measure out the liquid as needed as I find that very simple and takes no time at all to measure and dump.

I mix to a higher salinity and add RO to get to the right levels. I think ESV is great as there is never an issue with settling or inconsistant batches.