• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Evaporation

How much water do you go through? I have a fan to pull heat out of my canopy from the halides, and my temp stays in the 78-79 degree range. I go through about 2 gallons a day, seems like a lot to me. How can I cut this down?

I have a 75gal tank with metal halides and vho lights and loose about 1 gallon of water a day, i also have two dehumidifiers in the house and they have helped alittle with the evaporation.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My system evaporates about 1.5 gallons a day also. I did notice that most of it happens at night while I am a sleep. I assume it's because the heat is going more at night than the day. I keep the cabinet doors open to get more air and it helps a little. I have no fan either.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Opening the cabinet should actually encourage evap. By keeping them closed you should see less evap because the ambiant humidity of the cabinet would be higher and not take up as much water. At least that's how it works here.

I evaporate out 3 gallons a day - 180 witha 40-gallon sump, open top. I'm sure that it will be more in the summer when I have the fan blowing on the sump.

OK I just wanted to see what the average was I don't have the ability to set up a auto top off now so I will just keep a watchful eye.