• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Expert advise on acrylic?

Hey guys and gals:

I needs a few questions answered from the acrylic experts (I'm out of town on business and bored stupid in a hotel room...  yuck... :(  )

1: What is the best acrylic to use for sumps and tanks?

2: Does anyone know where I can get it in South Jersey?
(and if not in south jersey, then maybe online?  I found this place: 

http://item.express.ebay.com/1-8-Cl...012376608QQihZ020QQfromsoiZ1QQcmdZExpressItem

which looks good for practice if this is the right kind of acrylic)

I have this idea to build a small custom box that hangs in my sump for drip acclimation. 

My current sump is a 20 gallon long, and currently I use a large specimen cup for small acclimations.  I hang the cup in the sump and run an air line with a valve down to the cup.  This usually maintains pretty uniform temperature as the water is rushing from the first chamber over the wall into the second chamber (where the specimen cup hangs) and being forced around the specimen cup while the drip is running, and the cup is partially submerged in the sump water.

The idea is to build something a bit bigger than the specimen cup for larger acclimations that will dip further down into the second chamber, but will still hang on the side of the tank.

I'm thinking something about 10 to 11 inches long, about 6 to 8 inches wide, and about 10 inches tall with lips on both ends that rest on the edge of the sump.

I figured this would be good practice to eventually build a better sump out of acrylic, and hopefully, if I can hack it, a custom tank.

------------------------
Matt (mfisher2112)
------------------------

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can get 1/4" for around $5 /sf at Home Depot. 1/8" for alot less. For what your describing, the Home Depot acrylic would be fine. There are alot of sumps, including the one's I've built that are made out of Home Depot Acrylic. When you get to the custom tank, I would recommend going to a distributor, glass shop or online vendor such as Ohio-Perice, US Plastics, Tap Plastics, or others and get cast. Don't hesitate to ask questions, I'll help you anyway I can. I'm in Cape May County. If you want to come down sometime I can show you how I do things.

Good Luck

Thanks Rich!

Cool.  Local and inexpensive!  Great place to get practice pieces!

What solvent do you use for the seams?

You built the sump for Merv, right?  I saw that in person.  That thing is sweet! Pictures don't do it justice.

I may take you up on that, I'm in Cumberland County (just south of Millville) and work in Rio Grande.

I'm not afraid of trying to cut it myself if necessary.  I have 2 different table saws and a pretty decent router table. 

Once I get to the tank stage, I am thinking around 120 (48"x24"x24").  I found a few places online that do 1/2" cast in 24"x48" precut sheets for around $60 to $65.

Thanks for the help!

------------------------
Matt (mfisher2112)
------------------------

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I use weldon 3 for regular joints, weldon 4 for water tight structural joints, and weldon 16 for uh-oh's. You can order it online at Tap Plastics. Don't forget to get a couple applicators.

Cool, thanks Rich. Will check that site out.

Thanks again!

------------------------
Matt (mfisher2112)
------------------------

shipping is a killer for thick acrylic, and the bigger it is, is worse. i buy my 1/2 inch cast acrylic sheets at a place in the raritan expo center industrial complex in edison for 7 dollars a square foot. they come in 4 ft by 8 ft sheets. their weldon 4 is 45 bucks a gallon. i pick it up myself.
good luck.
RENEE

reneeRN said:
i buy my 1/2 inch cast acrylic sheets at a place in the raritan expo center industrial complex in edison for 7 dollars a square foot.

Name/address? I'm ready to start screwing things up!

Marcelo -

There apparently is a place in wilmington that will custom cut any size and thickness for you. I was speaking with someone who has used them on multiple occassions, and says they are very accurate with their cuts. Apparently they also have tube, rod and bending services available too.

As I get more info on them (the name escapes me right now, its written down but in my car) I will put that info up. I'm thinking of checking them out next week. Wilmington isn't too far from me.

Marcelo,
You wont mess things up, just try, ask Rich all the questions you can think of, he's DA BOMB with acrylic! I could be the backup, though. I learned thru trial and error, also the internet helped. This is the most helpful website, with photos, melevsreef. http://www.melevsreef.com/tools.html

have fun
RENEE

The name of the acrylic supplier:
Laird Plastics, Inc. 135 Fieldcrest Ave Bldg. 135F Edison, NJ 08837 Tel: 732-593-2777
The guy's name is John. It was a special deal. Tell him that Renee told you to go and you would get the same price. To jar his memory, tell him the person that sent you is the girl that paid him in cash, and tried to get off from paying tax. didnt work.

Hey Guys - Tagging along on this acrylics related thread. Good info. Renee.

I have been trying to decide the best approach to secure a sump. While I would like to try and build one, time is sooo limited and I am questioning if I have the tool resources.

I do see someone is selling a 14X14X36 "professionally" made 3/8" sump for $250. This still sounds pricy, but if it will cost me over $150 to buy the tools and supplies, I am thinking it would be worth it. Can I get your thoughts? I don't have a table saw, so I think I will need to buy one or make other arrangements for the large precision cuts. (only have a router and multipurpose cutting tool, grinding tool)

I did attend the meeting at Renee's which was great and inspiring, but I think my lack of tools might make buying one the best approach. You thoughts would be appreciated.
Thx
Bob

You were looking in SNJ so here are some places for you.
I get my acrylic from E&T Plastics in Mount Laurel, near the mall. So far they have had the best sheet prices, about $75 for a sheet of 4 x 8 x ¼. The last time I was there, about a month ago, the guy said the prices would be going up a little because of the shipping they have to pay.

Everything Plastic on 2 nd st. in Philly. They are good if you need small pieces and don’t want to buy a full sheet. They sell it as scrap at $1.98 a pound. The same sized sheet of ¼ is $126 at EP.

Jon

Renee do you know if Laird Plastics also carrys Weldon 3 and 16 and applicators? I live in Carteret and work in Somerset so I pass the exit for Raritan Center every day on my way to and from work, so this would be extreemly convienient if I could get all my supplies from there.

Rich, I would love to take a ride down one day when your working with acrylics to watch/help/learn if you wouldn't mind. It would be a huge help to me to see someone with experience actually working with the acrylic and be able to ask questions. I have read through most of Melev's web site and made a list of supplies I need. I have the major tools already, I just need the blades and bits specific to cutting acrylic and the adhesives and applicators. I plan on doing some shopping in the next week or so.

I am going to start with and overflow and sump for my 20 gal for my first projects, but I want to eventually be able to build my own sump for the 180 I'm planning.

Also, can you tell me what solvent I should look for for cleaning? Melev mentioned using solvent the clean the applicator tips, but I couldn't find anywhere where he stated what solvent he used.

Thanks,
Jack

boontonbob said:
I did attend the meeting at Renee's which was great and inspiring, but I think my lack of tools might make buying one the best approach. You thoughts would be appreciated.
Thx
Bob
Bob, all you need is a circular saw and a bonus is a router. Get the biggest carbide blade for your saw with as many teeth you can get. HD has em. About 30 bucks for a good one (8 inch). A sharp flat file is the second must if you havent any tools. Also some squares or triangles.

Treadingwater said:
Renee do you know if Laird Plastics also carrys Weldon 3 and 16 and applicators?

Also, can you tell me what solvent I should look for for cleaning? Melev mentioned using solvent the clean the applicator tips, but I couldn't find anywhere where he stated what solvent he used.

Thanks,
Jack
Jack, Laird makes huge bus windows. They have big stuff. They sell only gallon size weldon. And big sheets of acrylic. they can get it for you from brooklyn, regulations are not so strict there. That stuff is big time hazerdous materials. It is a different brand but same as weldon 3. I use the polycarbonate solvent from us plastics. it is cheap. I bought my applicators from ebay. Weldon 16 from ebay too, although I hardly use 16. i like weldon 4 best.

The solvent he is talking about is the weldon 3 or 4. All it is is watery solvent that melts and fuses acrylic. As a matter of fact it is called solvent not glue.

good luck
RENEE

Thank you Renee

I found a place online that sells Weldon 3, 4, and 16. They also sell applicator bottles. Prices seem pretty reasonable. I ordered a quart of Weldon 3 and 4, a 1.5oz tube of Weldon 16, 3 applicators (25 guage)and the total came out to $63.54 including $19.50 for shipping. Here's a link to the site if anyone wants to check them out http://www.rplastics.com/plac.html

Jack