• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

External Pump Recommendations

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Resurfacing the hard wood floors in our old 1920 dutch colonial house gave me the perfect excuse to start over with a blank slate. After the floors were done and I put up some floor jacks in the basement for support some extra weight, I am starting my 90 RR up from scratch. It was a FOWLR, but will now become a reef.

For now, while the baserock and LR merge together, the tank is an open canvas, and I am planning on moving the wet/dry and sump to the basement directly below. Being a cool basement, I won't need a chiller, and have lots of room. (yes, I still believe in a wet/dry as long as you clean it regularly)

So the move to downstairs will require an EXTERNAL pump. I will take my wet/dry and bulkhead it to a 40 breeder tank with some compartments and bulkhead to an external pump. I have to go back up 14 (Fourteen) feet with 3 or 4 90 degree bends. I am not trying to make the sump return primary circulation so 4 or 5 time turn over is fine. 450-500 at the return is fine.

I have NOT had good luck over the years with External pumps as far as noise and vibration. Anyone have suggestions on a good pump to use? I was thinking about a MAK 4. IWAKI is not an option as I have a very bad fire experience with one, so that has really soured me to them.

Suggestions, thoughts.

-Phil

you can get a t4 or Sequence 1000 Series, any of them i think are good, i can talk about the t4s i have one and is dead silence, is perfet, sometimes i have to touch it to make sure its running, but people said it put some degrees of the temp of your tank

Gabe

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a 40RLT that the casing got so hot, it melted the attached PVC and caught the wood it was mounted to on fire. When I sent it to be checked out (It was the Japanese Version, all I got was, that is it normal to run that hot, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. The agreed to replace it with another one, but when I got the replacement, it was in fact the same unit (I recorded the serial #) with some faces on it.

S**t happens and I understands things break, but the treatment in the whole process made me feel like a criminal.

Oh well....

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The Sequence looks to be a bit of overkill and a bit more than I want to spend.

The T4 looks interesting. Based on the charts and ratings looks like the T3 would be a better choice T1 and T3 are pressure rated). All the reviews of the Posiden Pumps talk about added a lot of heat, do you see that also?

Hopefully I will end up with a list of 4 or 5 choices.

Phil

like i said im happy with my t4 is nice, and the curve is better than the t3, but i dont know about heat because those are the only pumps i used, well and the mags, and the run about the same

Gabe

GenX 40 is what I'm going to be using, I should have the tank running in a couple of day's, I'll let you know how it is.

I LOVE my T4. It's dead silent. It does add a few degrees to my tank, so I run with one less heater in the winter and run a fan across my sump in the summer. I tried a Blueline and an Iwaki before I purchased the T4 but they had too much vibration through the floor underneath the tank ( my bedroom is directly under my tank.)