• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fake Koralia???

REEFLECTIONS said:
not much less, and i notice that they have suction cups instead of magnet mounting.... that alone would push me towards koralias.....

They sell them with magnet mounts as well. And the magnets are pretty damn good. The pumps are Resun pumps. OEM'd Korallia and Tunze stuff.

These pumps are fantastic and I 100% vouche for them.

Take a look at all the stuff the make (cheaper here -- about $25 for shipping, but you can obviously get a lot of stuff to help minimize the overall cost of it):

http://www.reefshops.com/

I have the twin Tunze knockoff pumps that I need to sell, actually, as they are too powerful for my tank.

Great stuff.

Great!! I guess some copies ARE a good deal.
Yes they do make them with the magnet too.
Thanks for the link the stuff looks great!!

I doubt and willing to bet money they are NOT OEM (original equipment from the manufacture) Tunze and Hydors and to verify this I'd contact Roger over at Tunze, I'm sure he'd love to see that.

My experience is I have not used any aquarium equipment made in china that is actually great, long lived and has a decent warranty... Just look what happened to PFO's solaris fixtures when they started making them in China.

Plus in today's economy and all the recalls with kids toys, dog food and so on....why would you support more products from china? They basically own the US now.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
mott768 said:
I doubt and willing to bet money they are NOT OEM (original equipment from the manufacture) Tunze and Hydors and to verify this I'd contact Roger over at Tunze, I'm sure he'd love to see that.

My experience is I have not used any aquarium equipment made in china that is actually great, long lived and has a decent warranty... Just look what happened to PFO's solaris fixtures when they started making them in China.

Plus in today's economy and all the recalls with kids toys, dog food and so on....why would you support more products from china? They basically own the US now.
Couldn't agree more with your post Mott.

Mott;

I think that is the wrong topic for the forum, but .... ;)
When people are willing to pay $100 for a barbie, then they will be made here again.
I support american products, but when it comes to aquarium equipment, most comes from Asia.
I wish more american companies could afford to make their products here.
;)

yuyiboy said:
Mott;

I think that is the wrong topic for the forum, but .... ;)
When people are willing to pay $100 for a barbie, then they will be made here again.
I support american products, but when it comes to aquarium equipment, most comes from Asia.
I wish more american companies could afford to make their products here.
;)

Well if you want the best in aquarium products buy German made stuff..... Never said anything about buying only US, but you can keep supporting China and the lack of QC ::)

If you want cheap made in USA buy here
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/index.php?cPath=71_136

I'd buy any of their products before I bought anything made in China

Also example of china's QC

Odyssea known ballast problem caused fires no recall, no replacements or repair and still sold the lights with the defect

Hydor problem with short recall issued and replaced free of charge

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I have to step up to bat for catalina,I have and still do own numerous light fixtures from them and no one else can beat his warranty on lights 5 years,not to mention the quality is far better than alot of other fixtures on the market.

reefsandrotts said:
I have to step up to bat for catalina,I have and still do own numerous light fixtures from them and no one else can beat his warranty on lights 5 years,not to mention the quality is far better than alot of other fixtures on the market.

And made in the USA ;)

mott768 said:

I don't know, maybe because I can't afford to drop $100+ on a pump like other people can?

It's kind of hard to own a reef tank with solid equipment as a student.

Maybe once I'm graduated, I'll be able to afford top of the line equipment like some people. ::)

reefsandrotts said:

Catalina lights are great quality. Would own one of their T-5s if I didn't have my 250HQI.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I saw these a year ago when I was looking for good cheap pumps. If I remember correctly the lower price wasn't that great. I also Googled them and found they are that great. At least back then people complained about them breaking or completely stopped working only after 5 or 6 months. I would research them first. I bought used K3's for the same price ant they are still going strong. Just my 2 cents worth of info.

I don't want to be part of a flame war but given the number of people out of work in the US I think it makes sense for us to buy US made. I am happy to say my tank, sump, skimmer(minus the Italian pump), and light fixture are all made in USA. I went with the "cheaper" Catalina lights very happy with them. Also I got my sump and skimmer made by Orca and they are built like a tank. Tom and I were talking about this and I think we agree 110% buy American if you can. Plus I actually talked to the folks who built the sump skimmer and lights. I think that is pretty darn cool. I don't think you will get any emails from China asking you how your tank is going.

Comment removed. Adds nothing productive to the thread. Please continue to keep this thread productive or we will need to close it. Thanks for your cooperation.

JRWOHLER said:
I don't want to be part of a flame war but given the number of people out of work in the US I think it makes sense for us to buy US made. I am happy to say my tank, sump, skimmer(minus the Italian pump), and light fixture are all made in USA. I went with the "cheaper" Catalina lights very happy with them. Also I got my sump and skimmer made by Orca and they are built like a tank. Tom and I were talking about this and I think we agree 110% buy American if you can. Plus I actually talked to the folks who built the sump skimmer and lights. I think that is pretty darn cool. I don't think you will get any emails from China asking you how your tank is going.
Comment Removed.

I actually got a follow-up email to ask how the pumps were shortly after they arrived.

Take it for what it's worth.

JR,

Content removed. Please keep the posts on topic and without personal attack. If you feel something was said that needs to be moderated please report the post. Thanks for your cooperation.

Response removed. Adds nothing productive to the thread. Please continue to keep this thread productive or we will need to close it. Thanks for your cooperation

Jonathan was it from the supplier in China, the seller on eBay from (US or China), or US distributor? I am happy that you got good customer service, I certainly hear you about the cost of reefing if a student or not.

Response removed. Adds nothing productive to the thread. Please continue to keep this thread productive or we will need to close it. Thanks for your cooperation