• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

fan + water = ??????????

So my cooling fan fell into my tank last night. No harm came to anything that I can tell other then my temps hitting the mid-high 80s today.

Should I toss the fan or do you think it would still be safe to use?

Is it sealed? You might want to test it far away from anything in a GFCI outlet. It might spark up.

Or you could just toss it.

keep it in there = free powerhead.
kidding. i think to play it safe i would replace it. i would hate to see it malfunction when your not around.

and thanks for the frag buddy its very nice ;D

If the fan was running when it fell in the water chances are you burned the board. You can try and let it dry and plug it into a gfci outlet and see what happens but I wouldn't play with it. I'd also recommend you changing it. If you tank is running in the eighties now what do you do in the summer time?

mgonz said:
If the fan was running when it fell in the water chances are you burned the board. You can try and let it dry and plug it into a gfci outlet and see what happens but I wouldn't play with it. I'd also recommend you changing it. If you tank is running in the eighties now what do you do in the summer time?

I run the AC silly.Seriously though my house is set to 72/73 year round. I'm considering selling the pendant and getting some T5s instead to help with cooling. When I get a chance I'm going to open it up. I'm pretty sure that some of the moter windings have been fused together. I guess I have to cough up another $6 to the dollar store. :p

reeferwanabe said:
can I ask how you had it mounted?
:-[
I had it precariously perched from the last time I cleaned it. I normally have it on my hob filter in such a way that it cannot fall into the tank without my help. My dog has run full blown into the tank without it moving. If I get the same type of fan it's getting tiestrapped to the filter.

t5 Are very nice. Thats what i run. And have since i started. I hear people say that you can't hold sps with them but i do fantastic with them. And the color you get with them is amazing. Oh and they do run much Cooler.