• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fatal error

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Does anyone know why I get this when I select Forum on the page?

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 85136 bytes) in /home/njrcweb/public_html/njreefers.org/joomla/components/com_smf/smf.class.php on line 339

I am using IE9 and Google Chrome.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Sid, thanks it just started happening today. Plus Microsoft forced an IE update and thought that was the problem but its not.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you get anymore "Fatal errors" can you post them in that other thread so the BOD can pass on whats going on to the powers that be.. I know that they are working on it.. Mods.. If this thread is merged can you delete this post.. Thanks

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mods please close this if there is another thread. I didn't realize that.

Thanks

It happens when I click on "Forum", "NJRC Public Forums", "show unread posts since last visit".
But it does not , when I click on sub-menu, like "Open Water".
I guess any "big" selection requires more memory, which is beyound our current server's limit. ???

run the url njreefers.org/joomla/ through this site: http://analyze.websiteoptimization.com/wso

It will give you an idea why there are all the issues. The big one is that there are a lot of objects running on the site.

Enabling gzip, minifying the javascript and combining the css, and using css sprites would help a lot. It would also cut down on the club's bandwidth usage and allow for cheaper hosting.

I can't really help right now, but I am sure someone on here has some experience with website optimization. Updating the forum code to the new version may help as well since they have optimized and cut down on the number of requests to the server.

also for people having issues, I think installing noscript in firefox seems to stop one the large scripts from running as I am no longer getting the error.

falconut

NJRC Member
SHLUZER said:
It happens when I click on "Forum", "NJRC Public Forums", "show unread posts since last visit".
But it does not , when I click on sub-menu, like "Open Water".
I guess any "big" selection requires more memory, which is beyound our current server's limit. ???

Not complaining, just for information purposes. Mine started doing the same as noted above too. If I manually go through the forums, it works fine.