• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Feeding clams to my reef

A fellow reefer recently asked me how I go about feeding clams to my fish and coral. Instead of responding in a PM, I figured I would share with the board. I am not a clam-shucking expert but I find this technique is quick and easy. I hope it helps.

If anyone has a better technique or anything to add, please share.

I buy live little neck clams. I put the whole bag in the freezer and always have a separate sandwich bag with four or five in the freezer for easy access. If any of the clams are open, I toss them in the trash. I only use the closed clams.
031_zps53af4589.jpg

I carefully wedge a sharp steak knife into the "seam" of the clam.
032_zps2ce193ee.jpg

I switch my grip and apply a little constant pressure.
033_zpsd35573be.jpg

I'll take the same sharp knife and slice paper thin fillets off of the clam. I'll chop the slices up so it's easier for the fish to eat.
034_zps21c75c6c.jpg

I'll put the chopped up, ready to eat, clam bits in a shot glass and put some tank water in it to thaw the clam. Then I just turkey baste it up and squirt a little at a time in the tank. Hope that helps.

Nice and simple. I haven't touched a clam since I almost cut my finger off doing this when I was about 15. I'm 40 now. hahahhhaha

I know someone who opens it up and tosses it right in the tank. The fish just pick it apart for the most part.

I've heard of people tossing in the clam and letting the fish pick at it. For my situation, slicing it up works better. I have some fast fish and some slow fish. Broadcast feeding ensures everyone gets some.