• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Feeding my Warty Anglerfish

Hello All-

I have a 3.5 inch white with red spots Warty Angler that I purchased from Dr. Dans Aquarium in Clifton. Thing is marvelous, and eats everything(I will post a video). Quick question though. I've been reading that feeding them freshwater guppies could kill them because of the freshwater that's inside of the guppies stomach. I currently have a little tank full of them, and feed the angler with a pair of long tweezers...about one fish every three days. Is this ok? ??? ??? ???

sorry this may be off topic, for that i apologize, but i was looking to get an anglerfish. how big is your tank? do they require any special lighting or anything?

for feeding them, I would go with some frozen krill , shrimp , silversides twice a week. I'm not sure what else you have in your tank, but anything small enough to fit in his mouth will be gone. I have had a few over the years they are great , fun to feed. The one main thing I would say to watch out for is air glumping, when packing or unpacking them try to keep them in the water at all times. If they get a mouth full of air they will swallow it..after a week you may find it and yourself not so happy.

+1 to what azar wrote.

do not feed freshwater feeders to a saltwater fish or anemone. It's just not nutritionally sound.

phil519 said:
+1 to what azar wrote.

do not feed freshwater feeders to a saltwater fish or anemone. It's just not nutritionally sound.

The only "freshwater" fish I would ever dream of using as a feeder are mollies (but they are brackish/marine fish more than freshwater, anyway) -- and even them for only a short time. Stay away from feeders in general.