• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Feeding schedule

My 65g AIO is doing well but I am confused by contradictory suggestions I am seeing and would like to come up with a feeding schedule that is reasonable for my setup.

65g dt
3 lyretail anthias
1 coral beauty
1 6 line wrasse
1 lawnmower blenny
live rock, live sand, complete CUC incl. snails, hermit crabs, brittle star, cuke, emerald crab

So to keep the anthias from fighting i feed a little bit twice a day, as much as they can eat in a minute or two.
My nitrates 0.5 and phosphates are .24ppm (not good, I know) so how do I balance keeping the tank clean with keeping the fish happy?

Thanks for any advice!

The anthias are your determining factor. Anthias ideally should be fed 3 or more smaller feedings per day to maintain them in good health.

You could try running gfo through a fluidized media reactor to keep your phosphates down. You could also use something like biopellets or another carbon source to drive nitrate and phosphates down. The nitrates look like they're at a good level to me, but your phosphates are out of balance with your nitrates (ideally 16n:1p). I would look into gfo or chaeto as your best bets.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Seems like your doing pretty good to me so far, anthias require at least 3 feedings its just in,there nature but if your feeding responsibly and with,moderation that's half the battle.
As the othershave stated GFO or some sorta phosphate absorption resin would be good mechanical back up filtration I currently use chemi pure elite and feel it works very well

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Yes, very quick. In fact a couple weeks ago I voiced my amazement that mags couldn't keep his phosphates up. Then mine bottomed out with a combination of GFO and vibrant....

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Yes, very quick. In fact a couple weeks ago I voiced my amazement that mags couldn't keep his phosphates up. Then mine bottomed out with a combination of GFO and vibrant....
Always between .02 and .04 with only a skimmer. I don't feed crazy heavy and have good a good CUC to eat any leftover food. Banded trochus, mexican turbo, ceriths, nassauris, a couple blue legged hermits. And a bumble bee email I see every couple months!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I stopped running gfo because I couldn't get above 0 on my ULR hanna checker.

Now I rely on my fuge and biopellets (And my skimmer) and it maintains it at about 5 ppb.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I took my gfo offline also. I'm feeding sooo much trying to get them off of zero. It's crazy how fast it changed.

I did the whole NOPox doseing a little while back because I was having some balancing issues it worked great but I have some recommendations if you try it.
First off I used Red Sea Reef Mature the kit includes a small bottle of NOPOx but you'll want to buy more, the good thing about the kit is it also includes nitrabac (live bacteria) and bactostart (some sorta super food that helps the bacteria establish better) the reason for the bacteria is because NOPOx doseing needs a good source of bacteria to work effectively (because essentially nopox doseing is for the bacteria) I dosed regularly for 2 weeks and bottomed out,my phosphates and dropped my high nitrates to a manageable level, but in,the end I couldn't get the nitrates any lower because there wasn't enough phosphate. Over all the stuff works great if you want to drop nitrates and phosphates quick and also if you want to cycle the tank faster.
Only issue I had is the balancing act, it drops levels quick but to continue working it needs phosphate which it'll drop quicker then nitrate.
Also in,the end my tank was a little to clean so I started seeing,issue with corals like my xenia and Kenya trees.