• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Feeding via the return pump and auto feeder

I've been successfully used an auto feeder on my 45 for many years, but never really liked the sight of it sitting on top of the tank. I was wondering if anyone has tried feeding into the return area of the sump and having the return pump supply the food to the DT? I realize that some of the food will probably just sit on the bottom but cleaning this up would be pretty easy.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
What about the stuff getting stuck in the pump itself and shortening the life? Also you run the risk of a chocked pump. Not worth the risk at all.

ah, good point. I was thinking the pellets are so small it wouldn't really matter. I guess I'm back to the auto feeder sitting on top of the tank.

Maybe after I'm up and running I'll build a dedicated delivery system with a cheap pump to the DT.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not sure if you're talking about the sight of the feeder or the sight of the food floating on the water surface. If it's the food, simply use a feeding ring. They do sell them, but I made these two out of tubing I already had. One has two suction cups to attach in a corner next to the autofeeder, the other is trapped under a piece of plexi.

The food is dumped into the ring and stays within the ring until it sinks.

Now, if you're talking about the sight of the feeder, this return pump idea sounds interesting. Use a feeding ring with a large mouth funnel that is close to the pickup of the return pump. I think this would leave nothing in the section....all would be sucked into the pump.

Paul - yes the sight of the auto feeder on the tank. What you wrote was what I was thinking. I guess there is a remote chance that the pump can get choked up, but I have a iwaki 55, and there are far bigger things which sometimes get through the sump.

I guess it comes down to how much one thinks food pellets will clog a pump up.

I am sure its nothing that a normal regular cleaning would take care of. Does your pump feed a manifold? If it does I would be worried the food would go directly into my reactors or something.

No manifold, 1 pump to the return. I did this to keep a stable herbie return. It's incredible how quiet this return method is, I have about 900 gph flowing and no sound at all at the DT.

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have an idea for this but can't articulate it, it would be easier to draw a picture

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
A picture is worth a thousand words

Parts
image.jpg

Assembled
image.jpg

The knitting cloth would extend above the waterline containing the food and guiding it into the pump as it sinks.

I would not do this on my system though

mrehfeld - I appreciate the time you spent taking the pictures and I'm pretty sure that would work.

What I did, was via my apex, I have the feeder dropping right into the return part of the sump. The manifold and skimmer pumps turn off and then a circulation pump turns on. I found within 2 mins all the food is suck in and delivered to the DT, I don't see a lot of broken up food, so I'm led to believe the pump isn't crushing the food. I've been running this for 3 weeks now and everything is working well. After 6 mins the skimmer and manifold pump kicks back on.

The additional benefit here is the food is delivered into the water and doesn't float on the surface, so no feeder ring is needed in the DT.

i hope, I just need to order a back up pump, if my main blows!!! Thanks again.

It took a few trails and at one point, I spilled 1/2 can of fish food into the sump. That was funny as I had a cloud of food in DT. The fish were happy!!