• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Felix T Cat's 40 Breeder

I'm not officially in NJ so please forgive the PA guy here. I found the forum through a light for sale link and then saw a number of questions about 40 breeder tanks. Not wanting to thread jack I figured I would start my own.
40 breeder, been set up for 3 months (was an upgrade from a 29g that was 4 months old)
- Lighting is a 6x39w nova extreme pro with aftermarket bulbs
- Skimmer is an Excalibur HOB (small overflow box and rio800+ pump driven)
- CPR HOB skimmer / fuge driven by a maxijet 1200 - I'm running it as a skimmer but no collection cup, more using it to get air into the water since I run a glass cover to minimize evap. Also the flow rate without the air intake was just too much in the fuge area (I even tried a MJ400)
- Fish are 2 clowns, 1 six line and 1 firefish goby
- 2 Peppermint shrimp, 1 Emerald crab, 1 cats eye turbo and a number of other snails and smaller hermits
- Flow is a MJ1200, K1 and a K3
- Heater - Stealth in the back of the tank. I tried in the fuge but was just never able to get a stable temp in the tank. I assume because of the slow flow through the fuge
- I don't dose anything, using IO reef crystals and 5g weekly (sometimes every other week depending on schedule) water changes.

Corals are a mix of everything, SPS, LPS, zoas, blastos, frog spawn and hammer, toadstools etc. The 3 birds nests in the center were 3/4" break offs about 4 months ago.

IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

Any questions / comments / advice I'm all ears

Great job, I am sure it will be a great example to those starting setting up a smaller tank. You did some great adaptations.

Thanks for coming aboard.

Hawkeye said:
did you make your own frag racks?

No, google eshopps frag rack. I picked them up locally at That Pet Place. The corner one was actually one row larger and I trimmed it down to better fit the tank.

Upper right corner is pulsing xenia. Most people consider it a weed, if it grows in your tank (some people can't keep it alive for some mysterious reason) I take out chunks on a regular basis to keep it in check and it's growing around the return from my HOB fuge. My clowns host it at night as well.
Lighting is a 6x39w Nova Extreme pro with this bulb combination:
---4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 UVL Actinic White and 1 GE 6500K Daylight