• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Filter Media Cups

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I had bought the Red Sea filter cups for my sump. They don't sit well in the cup holder. The rim needed to a slight bit larger. So I found a remedy...and by the way it is much cheaper than a Red Sea media cup.

The Winco cup are (1) cup for $6.09. I bought (3) cups for a total of $7.00

1605465469495.png

1605465631316.png

Are you using floss with the cups? I found when my floss started accumulate some waste, the water started exiting through the sides, because less resistance, and the water was draining into the sump unfiltered. With the holes all the way up the side like that on the Winco, I'd just keep an eye on it. I end up with more detritus in the sump, more manual cleaning.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Ahhh really! Didn’t know that. Yes I would use it with filter floss. The Red Sea cups “lip” fits very loosely in my cup holder.

Just means I need to clean out my floss more often.
:D
Maybe if you did some other stuff towards the bottom like carbon, then had floss closer to the top? Because otherwise, water will always take the path of least resistance, the side openings. Unless you plug a few with silicone or something, but that defeats the purpose. I considered using red solo cups, just cut holes in the bottom and add floss, but I haven't tested to see if the lip size is right..

I’ve been thinking about going the cup route instead of the socks let me know how much you like it I love some feedback on that

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
When I used cups I would take a normal plastic cup and invert it. Then I would trim aeound the rim until the upside down plastic cup fit snugly into the plastic holder.
This would create a false floor in the plastic holder, raising the floss level up quite a bit so that water had to flow through the media to get to any release holes.
Worked great, hope the post made sense.

Another option is a simple 4” plastic plant pot you buy plants in. They fit perfecrly in the hole and have holes in the bottom predeilled. Plus they’re shallow enough that water has to flow theough the floos and the floss is super wasy to change.
Only prob with this is, as the oots arent that deep, they sit above the sump water level, so theres a drip noise from them.