• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Filter Socks

I just stop using filter socks in my sump for my return lines. I have already noticed my sump dirtier then it was. I was wondering who does and does not use socks? Also if when maybe they changed from or to using them if you guys noticed a big difference in something, water clarity, nitrate drop, phos drop, etc?

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
i used them initially and then stopped as it got very bothersome changing them every 4 days or so. I noticed my sump was a little dirtier but i was just vacuum it out once a month using my algae mower vac. didnt see a change in water clarity or any parameters change. i did see very few microbubbles managing to get back in my DT. On my next build i do plan on using socks again but going with nylon socks instead of felt, easier to clean.

I set up with one but took it out after a few days. I cant remember the last time I actually had one in. Just to much trouble for me.

I had been using 200 micron nylon socks and would buy 10 at a time. Once I had 8 that were dirty I would soak in vinegar/rodi and then rinse out really well. I was told by my wife that if I ever tried to put them in the washing machine that I would be buying a new one. I found that after a while the socks just didnt last as long between cleanings. I have now stopped using them as it was becoming a pain replacing them every 3-4 days. Now I use my shop vac on my sump every 4-6 weeks.

I had been using 200 micron nylon socks and would buy 10 at a time. Once I had 8 that were dirty I would soak in vinegar/rodi and then rinse out really well. I was told by my wife that if I ever tried to put them in the washing machine that I would be buying a new one. I found that after a while the socks just didnt last as long between cleanings. I have now stopped using them as it was becoming a pain replacing them every 3-4 days. Now I use my shop vac on my sump every 4-6 weeks.

A shop vac? what do you drain your sump fully and then use the vac?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

A shop vac? what do you drain your sump fully and then use the vac?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Nope I use the shop vac to remove the water and whatever debris is in the sump. That counts as my wc. I end having to empty the shop vac a few times but its not that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have about 25 7"x16" 100 micron socks and I do wash them in bleach in my washing machine. It dose not hurt anything in the washing machine. Been doing it for over 15 years. I have some that are over 5 years old and I can get about 5 days on them. I do like using filter socks because the catches very small particles of dirt and they help keep my sump clean.

Now I have seen people that do not use filter socks get a snail suck up into there pinwheel of the skimmer pump and brake off the pinwheels.

I use 2 in my sump. One from my DT that's 100micron and on after my reactors that I drip lanthium chloride into that is 5 microns. To remove the bonded phosphates from the water column. I change them out once a week and wash them in hot water with bleach and let air dry. Works great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2