• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

first fishing trip this year

went out to sandy hook after work today. It was about 60 degrees sunny had to give it a shot. didn't catch anything but had fun.
this time of year the stripers start moving around in the river and I usually start catching soon before most people start to even think about it.
I saw a lot of bunkers jumping and all of a sudden a seal poked his head out right in front of me. That was worth the trip in and of itself.

its surprising how many come to n.j. in the winter and stay til late April early may. I see them all the time in the ocean. first time in the river but it makes sense cause the bait start moving there first due to the slightly warmer water

cool. nice report dave.

went out on Sunday, a little chilly around 54. Soaked some clams on the jetty in Longport, near Ocean city. 5 hours, not a single tap on both the surf rod and my jigging rod.

I think I'm gonna wait until mid April to try for some schoolie bass again....

Early last spring there was a seal mom and her pup that kept on using peoples docks to sun themselves. Its a very cool and unexpected sight around here

yea it was a fun time. just nice to be casting again too. I think will wait awhile before I go back out. never know depends on the weather.

supposedly people are nailin a few shorts down in the power plant just past lacey but i havent been able to get my ****profanity removed*** together and get out there so dont have any first hand info...good to hear theres bait runnin though

NJRC wishes to maintain a family friendly environment. To that end, use of profanity is not permitted. Continued use of profanity may result in adjustments to posting privileges

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Doug, Andy and Jeff are going out tomorrow.

Striper for dinner or a good fish story while I quickly throw burgers on the grill. ;D

I'm going to the Florida keys in 2 weeks for 6 days on a fishing trip. We usually go in October so this is different. I'm looking forward to the new species available. Hopefully some Sailfish, Wahoo and Marlin will be around. catching a 300lb bull shark last year was awesome. strictly catch and release aside from the snappers we catch to eat. I'll start a thread and post pics of my trip when i get back. And i do fish in NJ also mainly raritan bay and that area.

Harry

heard from a coworker of mine... Jersey Shore guy... blues were out earlier than stripers this year. this is not what you'd expect but stripers are seldom seen.