• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

First shot at reefing in JBJ Nano 12

Decided to change things up a bit by going with a reef instead of the fw tank.
So far:
Upgraded pump to 1200 with hydorflo outlet, Koralia nano too. 50w heater with controller.
Sticking with the stock 50/50 lamp for now.
Added 12lbs of very active live rock.
It's been cycling for a month. Water tested near perfect.
Clean up crew was added last week. Water tested perfect after a week so...
Yesterday it got its first corals.
More next week...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 89

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to the site! looks like you're off to a great start. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I first setup my JBJ 12 in Nov 2008 and still have one (just a different tank, we went with the leds). My first piece of advice is to get the media basket:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/

Run it with chemipure elite and filter floss on top. Weekly water changes and removing the filter floss weekly will really go a long way in keeping the tank clean. Good luck, and glad to see you are taking it slow. Let us know if you have any more questions.

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
The corals I picked up from you yesterday acclimated pretty quick. They were wide open later in the day.
I can see how this can quickly become an addiction!

Thanks,
Ron

Great to hear. Now we just need pictures :)

Pics

Ok, here ya go. I'll post a new one later this week when I decide where they need to be...

Ron

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 53
I first setup my JBJ 12 in Nov 2008 and still have one (just a different tank, we went with the leds). My first piece of advice is to get the media basket:

Run it with chemipure elite and filter floss on top. Weekly water changes and removing the filter floss weekly will really go a long way in keeping the tank clean. Good luck, and glad to see you are taking it slow. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those. Pretty sure I'll need it as my bio load increases.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great start! Would also like to add one more suggestion to Mike's (mnat's)... smaller tanks benefit from more frequent water changes. Since the volume is small, it tends to be contaminated faster as opposed to a larger tank that has more water to dilute impurities.

So, try to do one every week if possible to help keep it clean.

Corals moved up. Thanks for all the advice. Think this weekend it will get some more coral..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 53
Added actinic PC, basket, floss and chempure tonight with a water change.
Love the way the coral pops in this light!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 56

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Nice, I think you will really enjoy the basket and how easy it makes maintaining the tank.

LEDs installed and running at 50%. Current USA dual pro timer, Ecoexotic stunners x 2.
They put out a ton of light. More than enough for this little tank.
Added a peppermint shrimp last week too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 32

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
LEDs installed and running at 50%. Current USA dual pro timer, Ecoexotic stunners x 2.
They put out a ton of light. More than enough for this little tank.
Added a peppermint shrimp last week too.

Tank looks great. Those paly's are getting huge. Just take it really slow with the LED's. It may not look bright to us but it's super bright to the corals.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
That's not a bad starting point. Just keep and eye on how the corals are reacting and adjust down if necessary.