• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish Babysitter??? Hmmm What to do???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um got a little problem!
And just curious on what to do??
I'm going on vacation for a week in Jamaicia in July.
Sorry boys and girls no tag a longs!!! LOL!
Anyways, I have a Panther grouperin my75 gallon tank and he only eats raw shrimp!
And I don't want to starve him! Otherwise he will eat all my other fish!!!
My other fish will be feed by an automatic feeder and pods.
But he or she is a picky eater and won't eat anything else except shrimp!!!
But I was wondering if I should hit up my lfs to see if they could babysit the grouper or if anybody on here has ever been in this situation???
The grouper is about 3inches by july he might be 5 inches!!
Fast grower!!! Lol!!
Any info or opinion would be helpful!!!???!!!
Thanks in advance,
TR TBone

Where do you live?

I haven't had this problem yet. My vacays haven't been longer than 4 days in a while. But maybe a neighbor can help. Or an NJRC member.

MikeNapoli said:
Where do you live?

I haven't had this problem yet. My vacays haven't been longer than 4 days in a while. But maybe a neighbor can help. Or an NJRC member.

beat me to it... also i think one of the sponsors do tank sittings but might be overkill for just needing a grouper fed.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Advanced Reef Management is one of our sponcers. I would post on their thread and ask them are they gonna be in your area at that time. If not, I'm sure another member might live in your area.

I could be totally wrong but I thought the panther grouper is for an aggressive tank only...and a 75 may be too small for it as it grows up.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Our eel needs to be hand fed. We also have the same problem when we go away. We usually have someone come in and feed him every couple/few days while we're away.

Yeah I didn't do my research on that fish before I purchased it (My daughter wanted it)
Told the LFS what I had in my tank but I dont think he really cared!!! He just wanted a sale!!! I want to go bigger anyways so multiple tanks it is!!!
Love this hobby!!!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm about an hour away. I can make it there for one of the feedings.

phil519 said:
I could be totally wrong but I thought the panther grouper is for an aggressive tank only...and a 75 may be too small for it as it grows up.

Add another 100 gallons and it might be a small set-up still for a 30 inch, full grown panther grouper.

Hey Guys you are the best!!
I will keep you guys in mind!!!
I have just moved back in central jersey area so don't know too many people around here so that is my little problem!! But Thanks again and I shall see what I can conjure up before mid july!?!
Thanks for all the posts and feedback!!!

There are a couple of members in GreenBrook.

I bet if you start a thread called "help needed in greenbrook" they will come out of the woodwork.

agree with mike. In case you can't find someone - I drive thru green brook to get to work. I'll help on one condition...I get to bring my 6 yr old daughter over and watch the grouper eat. I'm sure she'd have a blast. ;)

LOL!!!
Yeah I know what you mean!!!
My kiddos love it also!!!!
I tell you though it is like a feeding frenzy when I do feed!
My Clownfish and the grouper and Lunar wrasse all eat the shrimp!!!
Even the Chromis eat it also as long it'ssmall enough!!!
Thanks!! I absolutely will keep you guys in mind!!!
New to the area and to the Club!
Great Peps on here!!!
TR

I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon here... I would be happy to make the hour or so drive to help out a fellow reefer, and let my nearly 7 yr old son watch. More importantly it would give me a reason to continue on and finally visit Stan(aka smcooler). I don't think you'll have any problem finding someone trustworthy to help you out. Hope you have a swimming pool to turn salt for that grouper.

malulu

NJRC Member
i live in green brook (on route 22 west side), next to Shogun and behind BurgerKing.
let me know if you need help, i can stop by daily if needed.
thx

Have you tried looking up a petsitter? We've got a women who takes care of our dogs, cats and fish when we go out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.