• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

fish dying - need help

arvin

NJRC Member
lost two angels, two anthias and one yellow tang in three days. Here is a picture of one of the tangs who is still alive.

JJEqiAybu9e2Lr7s_9U3rwqttldwo8juod-3QDJDP7Pso1_6Jlqp6lEbFw68pXDHWEWPhi2ENu_vE9TjHIGQc4jk5QubYaBxxkuBhCzOQuevSE2GBB5a-ybfOLUfnXohnQ0Fc62jWbDjM43AnociPQQq6xEsYmXTT11od9x1igp6qbfFqBv9fnQf4asXL0EtFGS2tUhXQjwB-9-nwNfCF2CjiScrd7OMpiD0PGaGUPnFibfQS7QPVJt5LhY0HQp4BNT1SIag5fMLEhlmTVADnWE0c-Y2JnEw_diHgBtnOIv-1HWmLFOMEf7WQdoUdG_dPv1UZ594EEu1G-B7ZwAfSz00bTyXRBDlFzTN9GoaGdkluwOhkXEfM6B7MUH5B-8baq6JcdoxkYuMDt-E_4FtbxjjzRhbPAjWhP6Ozc_03FPfVz498V5cc9K5wVwwS5v_uJiMFL2RvgxNtw9pqmIt2Yu4DcJSFQwSnKLw_y93ThzHS2GNqSpG6P6KskuehKw9SUlSMVXcUbUHqSd06-GovN8ffcd2E3UbL_cT44hWJTv3K9Zy2TYNGSOseLcvkZLYxUDjWg=w1779-h979-no

Is there anything that I can do to save the remaining?

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
All fish, if it's in the system chances are all fish have or will be infected. Velvet tends to kill fast, it's better to get to the fish before they are showing severe symptoms than to wait. They could possibly get too much gill damage or stressed to the point where they don't eat anymore. I know it sucks, i've torn my tank apart twice to catch and separate them for treatment, but it saved some of my fish.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's not fun, you may loose a few more in the q/t. it's also hard leaving the tank sit without fish for long enough for whatever's in the water to die off as well, but it's worth it to have healthy fish.

arvin

NJRC Member
I think it is easier for me to setup a tank for the corals I have than the fish. I am going to setup a tank quickly for the corals. How can I treat the display tank for velvet? I am trying to read online, but if someone has done something like that, I would like to know your firsthand experience.

Thank you all.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's usually better to treat the fish in a separate tank because the things that we use to treat it like copper will get sucked into the live rock and leach back into the tank.

It's usually better to treat the fish in a separate tank because the things that we use to treat it like copper will get sucked into the live rock and leach back into the tank.
X2 don't treat in your main DT. you'll regret this later.

arvin

NJRC Member
i have a 30g tank and a 40g breeder. The fish that I have are pretty large. Should I split in into two tanks or can I do all of them in 30g? In other words can I keep multiple large sized tangs in a 30g tank since it is only temporary?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Yea definitly don't treat your main tank. If you can find a vet to write you a script for chloroquine phosphate its your best bet. It's easy and works great. It may take some convincing but you should be able to find one. I would print out some articles on it to show them.

Planning to follow this method to the letter. All but three fish are in QT already. Hopefully tonight the remaining will also enter QT.

Thanks for all your responses.
Good luck. I hope your pets make it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk