• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish Food Recipe

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
The food mixin this weekend was a great success. We met at David's (malulu) house in Green Brook and put together some really nutritious food. Surprising as it may seem, the food didn't really smell bad either, I guess because the ingredients were really fresh. For those of you who would like to do this for themselves, the recipe was basically Adam Blundell's recipe with a twist:

Here are the ingredients we put in:

salmon no skin - 1 lbs 1
halibut no skin - 1 lbs 1
cod no skin - 1 lbs 1
shrimp no skin - 1 lbs 1
clams - 3.5oz tray 2
squid - 8oz flat packs 2
krill - 16 oz flat pack 1
silversides - 4oz flat packs 2

brine shrimp - 16oz flat pack 1 (optional)
blood worms - 3.5oz cubes 1
frozen formula 1 - 7oz tray 1
frozen formula 2 - 7oz tray 1
frozen prime reef food - 7oz tray 1
frozen Reef Phytoplankton - 3.5oz tray 1
Freeze Dried cyclopeeze - 30 grams 1
Coral Frenzy - 28 gram box 1
frozen Nutramar Ova Prawn Eggs - 100 grams flat pack 1

O.S.I. Spirulina Flakes - 1.09oz container 1
Julian Sprung - green seaweed - 30 grams bag 1
Julian Sprung - purple seaweed - 30 grams bag 1
Kent Chromax Liquid phytoplankton - 30ml bottle 1

Kentgarlic extreme - 1oz bottle 1
Selcon - 60ml bottle 1
SeaChem Reef Plus Multivitamin - 250ml bottle 1

Begin by chopping up the halibut, cod, shrimp, clams, squid, krill, and silversides. A blender or food processor is of great help here. The seafood should be chopped up into large pieces. What I mean by “large” is that the items are still identifiable, around ½” long (about half the size of an individual frozen krill). Set aside a small amount of this food. That food you are setting aside is done. It is a great food for anemones and large polyp corals that can be directly fed.

Next take another portion of this food out (around ¼ of what is left) and blend it down to a much smaller slurry. To this, add 1/3 of the Nutramar Ova Prawn Eggs, Coral Frenzy, Reef Phytoplankton, Freeze dried Cyclopeese, 1/2 of the Kent Chromax Phytoplankton, about 75 ml of the ReefPlus Multivitamin and 1/4 of the Selcon. This food, which is now done, makes great food for filter feeders such as clams, feather dusters, etc. it of course would also feed the coral and small fish.

Now that we have already made our filter feeder/coral foods, we take the remainder of our mix and we begin making the fish food. You could make the fish food in 2 seperate batches. One for carnivorous fish and the other for fish that are omnivorous but we decided to make a single batch for all types of fish.

We take the mix of chopped fish that we had kept aside and add to it: brine shrimp, blood worms and all the packaged frozen foods, remainder of the Nutramar Ova Prawn Eggs, Coral Frenzy, Reef Phytoplankton, Freeze dried Cyclopeese, Kent Chromax Phytoplankton, ReefPlus Multivitamin, Selcon and Garlic Extract. To this add the spirulina and nori. Blend well but don't make it into a slurry.

You can adjust the consistency of all the food by adding as much RO/DI water as needed. If you want your foods to bind, you could add gelatin to it but personally I prefer my food to dissipate so that it feeds the entire tank.

You can then pour small quantities of each food mix into Quart or Gallon sized ZipLock bags, spread and freeze. Feed as needed. We made about 13-14 lbs of food which will last us several months each.

NOTE: Something that we learn't while mixin the batches was to keep the frozen foods frozen right until you need to mix them so that they don't squirt all over the place as you squeeze the trays they are in or get wasted in the trays they came in.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
"NOTE: Something that we learn't while mixin the batches was to keep the frozen foods frozen right until you need to mix them so that they don't squirt all over the place as you squeeze the trays they are in or get wasted in the trays they came in."

;D And it was amazing how far that little squirt went. ;D

Sorry Dan :D

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Folks,

I'm running low on the frozen food we made the last batch so I am reviving this thread with the hopes other folks might be interested in another Group Buy..... I had great results from the food we made. My fish have more than doubled in size since I started feeding them the frozen food and their colors are vibrant as ever.

Dan

malulu

NJRC Member
i think you mind want to start a new thread... and have a link from here to there may be?
we don't want others to spent time to read no-use info on this old post...
;)