• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish food

What’s up everyone
Question I like to know what everyone is feeding their fish?
I always heard about people giving their fish vitamins and garlic but have no clue on that. I am just giving them nori strips and frozen hikari mega marine algae cubes.
Anyone have any suggestions on how I can step my game up?
Thanks

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I like Larry lrs food. To me it's by far the cleanest, frozen food I have used.

I also give them Reef Nutrition, Arctic Pods and ROE. The fish go nuts over it

Then I toss in flakes/pellets when I'm lazy.

I've never used garlic or vitamins before

I am using the Piscine PE mysis from Canada. It really doesnt move my phosphates at all. LRS when I want to bring up the phosphates. For dry I do a mix but liked the breeder color up pellets mixed with reef roids.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I’ve always gone with a mix of Rods and LRs frozen food with some reef frenzy powder and new life spectrum pellets thrown in. nori every 2-3 days for tangs and other herbivores. Works well for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I feed hikari seaweed extreme pellets daily on a auto feeder, every other day or when i remember, i feed frozen mysis and LR foods.

LRS Reef frenzy for frozen, but every other day or sometimes I stretch that out. I feed a mix of pellets as well, just to keep them going. Nori as well.

Lrs nano frenzy or frozen mysis, generally alternating days. Pellets instead when I’m in a rush with the kids. And reed chili 2-3 times a week in the dark for Corals, only on mornings the day after I use pellets or mysis

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I feed nori 2 or 3 times a week and frozen no pellets. Daily I vary it feeding brine shrimp, reef frenzy, blood worms, Angel Butterfly cubes.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I broadcast feed LRS frenzy twice a day to the fish and corals in Disply and frag tanks. Mysis every other day—ish to the display, a small amount almost daily to the Flower anemone tank. Nori once a week to my tomini in my frag tank. Newly hatched brine shrimp broadcast fed to all tanks, which now includes the tube anemone (which turns out isn’t an anemone and can’t sting anything) in the sump. Once a week or so I feed a coral food like coral candy soaked in selcon.

A few times a week I feed pellets to the display tank fish.

Dave

I always made my own. I think you may have even gotten some.

By far the best I came across. It cost a touch extra up front, but then I had enough that it lasted me almost 2 years. Had a mix of everything you can think of fresh. Only frozen I added to it was Mysis.

It was a full reef feeding when I used it.
Very easy and highly suggested

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Garlic is good for getting a fish to eat if they are finicky or not eating. Long term though it can actually kill your fish.

Selcon is good for HLLE but not really necessary.

Feed appropriate foods to your fish and you don't need and supplementation.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!!!!
Went out tonight and picked up a bunch of fresh seafood made a couple bags and is now in the freezer hiding from the wife. I really underestimated the smell :/ by far nasty but my fish went CRAZY for it
Thanks again

burrito

NJRC Member
i feed new spectrum pellets and pe mysis pellets 4 times a day, and sympathy feed the fish a frozen cube or mysis or frozen reef frenzy 2-4 times a week. only algea eater i have is a foxface who absolutely ignores nori but has one rock in the tank growing sea lettuce that he loves.

i do soak my frozen in selcon once and a while, im not sure if i do it right but i guess it gets in the water one way or another.

should i just thaw frozen, dump the water, then soak in selcon or just throw everything, food, thawed water, and selcon in the tank in one shot. corals seem happy...

i also does about 50ml of phyto into my cheato fuge ever few days