• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish from a Kiosk

Hi all,
I live in Ocean County and it is hard to find saltwater livestock near me (only place someone suggested looked scary and felt sorry for the poor frags in Petco)

After several disappointments at different places and on line, I stopped at Josh's PetAgree in Manahawkin.
I knew he used to have saltwater tanks but discontinued carrying them before I set up this tank. I asked if he could order saltwater livestock from his distributor if I pick it up when delivered. They not only said yes, but they showed me that the distributor set up something on line.

www.petkiosk.net

So since I only wanted a couple snails and hermits, I decided to give it a try. Went to the site and ordered two nassarius, two pyramid snails and a scarlet hermit. I got a confirmation number and was instructed to call Josh and the next day I pick up my clean up crew. (delivery happened to be the next day) They looked great, were packed well and I was extremely happy to finally get my snails!

The site is still pretty new, not having much information on each page for care and such like liveaquara does but think that will come.
ps there are a couple other stores listed for pick up

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Happy to read that the transaction worked out well. Gary Hersch who owned Tropiquarium is the person who to the back bones to this online business. Gary partnered with two store front businesses, josh and TJ the owners

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Where in ocean county do you live? When I had my tank up I went to Ocean Gallery a lot. They are down on Black Horse Pike

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Gary will let you pickup at your choice of location:

Aquarium Management
1575 Rt 37 West
Toms River

Fins & Feathers
Red Bank

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I wasn't crazy about that place.
I heard other people say the same thing but they always been good for me. I'm not a fan of his pricing so I always hunt around. He has never tried to upsell me and always been helpful. I normally only pick up fish from him cause his corals selection is limited and his dry good cost too much I believe.

I heard other people say the same thing but they always been good for me. I'm not a fan of his pricing so I always hunt around. He has never tried to upsell me and always been helpful. I normally only pick up fish from him cause his corals selection is limited and his dry good cost too much I believe.
First time I went in there, well before setting up my tank, I asked for medication for my betta fish. A neighbor had been caring for him over Christmas and I didn't realize they kept the house at 68 and she kept feeding. Had a nasty fungus when I got him back. Owner was chatty but not helpful, pointing to medication on the shelf that was for big tanks, not small bowl. As I was walking out, I saw the betta medication hanging on clip line!
When went to see about getting live rock, he never bothered to ask if I needed any help, the place felt dark and dirty so I just left. Tried one more time and again, he ignored me and didn't feel comfortable in the place. :confused2:

Deetu,

Where in Ocean County are you? I’m in Bayville. Not too many down this way keeping reef tanks.

Roy
Little Egg Harbor, closer to Atlantic County
Not keeping a reef though. I have a FOWLR tank... fish and macro algae only... and there are not too many sites for just fish.
I have a nano tank of 20 gallons with in tank filter (and yes, there is a fake anemone in there lol)
SzjlLMMPrpOM2CsJaz0hgZX-JByS5Rf7wKWrjJq90sOtgk95bz72ZfDWVdYPz_tJ9dInuB_If0nIpMLAeoNrSejNNAGx090U7bKA0Nb6oWEeBUq-_YMxO4IFE4iE8l3aMu4XjxS-x5avMt9ogrv7VdblqViZu23Q7IMoy0elr2VI03U8Om4ksvEhw3crIVQuAOYz1aiDeNbDeFcQHaYXNgQ9VNtDl-FCSNuOK5I0Apy_EEJU-MZUxRdqTv8b7F6DH_bdZ8aa7QN1nxHCH47a-uZcDbKVOtuN9eC9oCNqazR8N3gU_amZG2pHENZX4w8GJ3Hz8ChgPC0QpSO-_GADd5zSasqURchQm-KAdLqwzUL1DX9Rz0Td-5WwaPwmmDYyE2Ovc5oYf2hdd7slaQFqwaQGsH-Jpx-Rf2yTEMQgZkl3IzScPdst6fwb4BYIt9msQGmXQo4MhuQojWB-4LGivn7O4bDRae6LmIEzXZJGo9mLfAGsfgv4iw7B_PiMVKUNYWkAtTMUBtngJS96OgLtuPLLQ2bTu47SfIazUfuvv_qhJjwJzFE2qa9wRoiO3M4etylIMoF51TzipZ7gUiY_VvVtjX-D60nZsT_6D0dZVjxwR0ZNEScYw17dLRFJTXJfQ8WJIHelNrGQ5TfcL5vpMy8IPw=w454-h604-no

Josh is an awesome guy and good friend of mine. He carries and gets some really good live stock. Have you tried Ocean Aquarium in Egg Harbor? That’s where I go now that josh stopped the saltwater gig. I’ve been very happy with them and his saltwater tanks are all medicated so all fish get treated while in the store. I’ve bought many fish salt and fresh and have been very happy. Only problem there is he needs to upgrade his lighting the fish don’t get any justice with the lighting he has on the tanks. You also have 88 Pet world fish looked good but coral not so much. I’ve never got fish from there but have gotten some snails. Now the ocean aquarium has slim pickings with the coral. If you’re looking for coral in the county try Ultimate Corals. I think 80-85% of the coral in my tank is from him.

Last edited:

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Little Egg Harbor, closer to Atlantic County
Not keeping a reef though. I have a FOWLR tank... fish and macro algae only... and there are not too many sites for just fish.
I have a nano tank of 20 gallons with in tank filter (and yes, there is a fake anemone in there lol)
SzjlLMMPrpOM2CsJaz0hgZX-JByS5Rf7wKWrjJq90sOtgk95bz72ZfDWVdYPz_tJ9dInuB_If0nIpMLAeoNrSejNNAGx090U7bKA0Nb6oWEeBUq-_YMxO4IFE4iE8l3aMu4XjxS-x5avMt9ogrv7VdblqViZu23Q7IMoy0elr2VI03U8Om4ksvEhw3crIVQuAOYz1aiDeNbDeFcQHaYXNgQ9VNtDl-FCSNuOK5I0Apy_EEJU-MZUxRdqTv8b7F6DH_bdZ8aa7QN1nxHCH47a-uZcDbKVOtuN9eC9oCNqazR8N3gU_amZG2pHENZX4w8GJ3Hz8ChgPC0QpSO-_GADd5zSasqURchQm-KAdLqwzUL1DX9Rz0Td-5WwaPwmmDYyE2Ovc5oYf2hdd7slaQFqwaQGsH-Jpx-Rf2yTEMQgZkl3IzScPdst6fwb4BYIt9msQGmXQo4MhuQojWB-4LGivn7O4bDRae6LmIEzXZJGo9mLfAGsfgv4iw7B_PiMVKUNYWkAtTMUBtngJS96OgLtuPLLQ2bTu47SfIazUfuvv_qhJjwJzFE2qa9wRoiO3M4etylIMoF51TzipZ7gUiY_VvVtjX-D60nZsT_6D0dZVjxwR0ZNEScYw17dLRFJTXJfQ8WJIHelNrGQ5TfcL5vpMy8IPw=w454-h604-no
I'm in LEH . (right behind tipseam park). There a couple of us here.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
First time I went in there, well before setting up my tank, I asked for medication for my betta fish. A neighbor had been caring for him over Christmas and I didn't realize they kept the house at 68 and she kept feeding. Had a nasty fungus when I got him back. Owner was chatty but not helpful, pointing to medication on the shelf that was for big tanks, not small bowl. As I was walking out, I saw the betta medication hanging on clip line!
When went to see about getting live rock, he never bothered to ask if I needed any help, the place felt dark and dirty so I just left. Tried one more time and again, he ignored me and didn't feel comfortable in the place. :confused2:

That sucks. Personally I never had that kind of issues with him or his staff. I do agree 100% that his store is dark. mainly on the live rock section. Now the not asking for help I can see your point. Now personally there times I don't want someone to be 'following' asking if I need help. I would like to look and maybe search a buy on my phone before asking for help. There times I would have to go to them looking for help but personally I will take that over some stores where the staff is like hovering over you. I feel like I can spend all the time I want without having 'eyes' watching me.

Again personally I find him helpful mainly when I was starting out. He gave me some great advice when I went to be very first reef ready tank. There was also one time were I was depating on spending about $40 on a fire shrimp. I was asking him questions about them and he asked 'have you ever kept shrimp before?' I told him not I have not. He told me I should go with a cleaner shirmp ($20) over the fire shrimp just in the off chance it died I didn't lose $40.

With our area there isn't much choice. Reefabout (was in ventor) was good but he closed. I like Ocean Gallery but like I said his prices can be a little high. Once in awhile I would make trip north and hit places like ACC. I have always thought our areas (mainly cause of LBI) would be a great place for a LFS

Think I pushed a wrong button in answering lol... we'll see.
That sucks. Personally I never had that kind of issues with him or his staff. I do agree 100% that his store is dark. mainly on the live rock section. Now the not asking for help I can see your point. Now personally there times I don't want someone to be 'following' asking if I need help. I would like to look and maybe search a buy on my phone before asking for help. There times I would have to go to them looking for help but personally I will take that over some stores where the staff is like hovering over you. I feel like I can spend all the time I want without having 'eyes' watching me.
I used to work in a pet store up north... Nature's Cove Pet Center. We would approach a person, ask if they need help then tell them to let us know when they are ready or have a question. This way, at least they knew they were not being ignored but also not hovered over.
The worst was when a guy had me catch a damsel, then change it out not realizing that it lost it's color from stress...then going to the freshwater side for the same tank! Would have been helpful if he started on the freshwater side.

With our area there isn't much choice. Reefabout (was in ventor) was good but he closed. I like Ocean Gallery but like I said his prices can be a little high. Once in awhile I would make trip north and hit places like ACC. I have always thought our areas (mainly cause of LBI) would be a great place for a LFS
There was another pet store in Hackettstown near where I lived that I would go to once my old store closed. He was extremely helpful and always talked about opening a place around here... last I talked to him, he was looking to move in Little Egg Harbor. Maybe someday soon...:05.18-flustered:

Looks like pet kiosk has expanded the pickup location options. Anyone have experience ordering from them, and any feedback?

Hi all,
I live in Ocean County and it is hard to find saltwater livestock near me (only place someone suggested looked scary and felt sorry for the poor frags in Petco)

After several disappointments at different places and on line, I stopped at Josh's PetAgree in Manahawkin.
I knew he used to have saltwater tanks but discontinued carrying them before I set up this tank. I asked if he could order saltwater livestock from his distributor if I pick it up when delivered. They not only said yes, but they showed me that the distributor set up something on line.

www.petkiosk.net

So since I only wanted a couple snails and hermits, I decided to give it a try. Went to the site and ordered two nassarius, two pyramid snails and a scarlet hermit. I got a confirmation number and was instructed to call Josh and the next day I pick up my clean up crew. (delivery happened to be the next day) They looked great, were packed well and I was extremely happy to finally get my snails!

The site is still pretty new, not having much information on each page for care and such like liveaquara does but think that will come.
ps there are a couple other stores listed for pick up
This is a cool idea