• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish ideas for a 30G nano reef

I have a 30G reef tank with no fish in it. I am looking for fish ideas. These fish need to be peaceful and reef safe. How would you stock my tank?

If I was to restock my tank I would add as many different small fish as possible . I'm talking really small , nothing that would get over 1 1/2- 2 inches as an adult . There are alot of cool gobies and small fish out there, a pistol shrimp,Mandarin,etc.. That way you can still have a bunch of fish with a low bioload . Compatibility would be an issue.
I keep thinking of setting up a nano just like that,all zoas' ,gsp on a solo rock and maybe as floor covering,and of course some interesting tiny fishies. I would hope with no larger fish the smaller ones would stay out and not hide as much .

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Since I know you just sold an angel and a clown I will not recommend them. If you are looking for peaceful I have to agree with qwick, get a bunch of gobies. If your tank is covered, you can look at firefish. My bangaii cardinals are as peaceful as it gets. My gold assesor basslets are peaceful and a beautiful fish (just wait for the ORA ones will be much much cheaper).

evoIX - I don't have jawfish on my list. I'll have to take a look.

mnat - Yes the angry clown is gone along with the nipping angel. Not sure what happened to that clown, he was fine in the beginning. And I got the angel before I started collecting corals. Sad to see them go but they upgraded to a 90 gallon. I have a royal gamma basslet on my list. I did have a firefish which soon became a CLOWN toy and disappeared within hours. I will get one of those. What is ORA and why do I need to wait?

qwik - I like your idea of a bunch of smaller fish. How many small fish do you think I could get in my tank. I do small weekly water changes with one large 20% every 4 weeks. I have 30lbs of live rock too.

All - I live in Manasquan and the only place that I trust getting fish is at the Tropaquarium, but the fish there are sooooo expensive. I have taken a trip to the Hidden Reef a few time out in PA and their price's are better but when you add the travel, I might as well go to the Trop. Any other NJ LFS's that have a great selection of fish but don't charge you an arm and a leg. PETCO gets good fish once in a while that are relatively cheap but I am afraid to stock since they sometimes look unhealthy.

Thanks for the posts. More are welcome.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
AquaOceans is GREAT for low priced fish (Lakewood). You should also try Reef to Reptiles and see what their pricing is.

I know about Aqua Oceans been there once. What the, Reef to Reptiles? across from Trop? When they open up? I'm down there all the time and have never seen it. They carry some nice reef fish too? Gonna go this Thursday! Wow!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
ORA is the largest fish breeder in the country. Gold assesor basslets wild caught go for 100-150$, ORA fish will be around 50$. I live in Brielle and also go to Trop for most things but started to go to Reef to Reptiles more and more. Just stay on 35 north you will pass trop on your left and you will see the Pets sign on your right in a little strip. Greg is a great guy. I have gone to aqua oceans before generally because their fish are pretty cheap. We will also take a ride up to AO every now and again because they have some of the best livestock I have seen (and good prices).

What is AO? You say, "We will also take a ride up to AO every now and again". Up where? Sorry man! Do you know when they get new fish? Trop is Thursdays unless they changed that. I'm definitely going Thursday to Reef to Reptiles and maybe Aqua Oceans too. Unless AO? is definitely worth the trip! What kind of tank do you have. I grew up in Brielle on Locust Rd.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
AO is Aquatic Obsessions which you will find down in the sponsors area. They will post their new arrivals on a weekly or so basis. The trip is about 45 mins each way (exit 127 off the parkway). We only do that maybe every other month if they have something we want. Nice frag tank too and good prices. We have a 30g, 20g, and 12g tanks right now. Will be breaking down the 20g into a 57 in a few weeks. You can find all of our threads right here in the nano forum.

I just picked up a pair of picasso clowns from Hidden Reef for $120 which is a great price from what I was told as "A" grade. They still have a 5-6 pairs left if your into clowns:)Here's a pic of my pair.

Wow you picked a great time to see Will at AO IMHO, he has some great nano fish.
Jawfish, cleaner gobbies, swiss guard basslet(ok that one is pricy but very particular and very healthy), those are just a couple that I liked and didn't buy.  I got a pair of sharknose cleaner gobbies and a 4 line wrasse in my QT at the momment from him.  I know there are more but I was there about a week or so ago. 

Reef to Reptiles are good guys too, I have not been to Aqua Oceans.  Ocean Gallery II is up a bit farther as is Red Sand.  If you go to all of them you will have enought to start a small public aquarium.  ;D

Besides those I would agree with the cardinal fish, firefish, and gobbies in general. Pistol shrimp/goby pair.

I think AO is worth a trip. Its a good idea to bring a cooler or insulated Styrofoam box(most fish stores have extra to give out) if your going on a buying roadtrip. Have Fun !

Went to Reef to Reptiles. Great coral selection and prices. Will definitely buy some coral from there in the next few weeks. Greg, the owner, is friendly and helpful! I did add 1 firefish to the tank and will hopefully be adding a yellow watchman goby today. I'm going to check out Aqua Oceans and Fish Tails today.

1201139 said:
i got a yellow tang, niger trigger and a false per clown in my 29 and they are all doin fine together

not to be fish popo. but tang is definitely going to overgrow a 29 and niger trigger is VERY aggressive. everyone is their own and could do whatever they want with their tanks but i suggest against it. i knew a guy with about a 12" Hippo 12-16" angel and another 12"+ unknown in a 29gallon tank. they looked like they couldn't move for ANYTHING. they lived but who really thinks it's fine to look at a fish stay in one position cause they didn't provide enough room to move?

my previous 29cube livestock list

1 tail spot blenny
2 fire fish - open top but they were together living fine at the fish store for a month
1 flame angel - 50/50 chance of it eating corals
1 red scooter dragonet - once my tank is mature enough

AO just got in some nice small fish again. If you get a chance check them out too. The more you see the better. Shopping is half the fun. Plus the hope is that your fish will live for years so you want to make sure you get what you really want. The oldest fish I have is about 6 years old has moved from a 10G nano algae tank, to a 24G, to a 120 G tank. It is a bicolor pseudocromis which I would never suggest to a fellow reefer, in a small tank it is a real butt kicker. Now he is really mellow but little did I know when I first started that it would be a pain to keep. Greg seems to be a help and Will is very good with fish too so you can get a lot of info from them. Plus at AO ask whoever is on the couch for help ;D. Sort of the opposite of the psychiatrist where the patient is on the couch. If your lucky you will get someone like Bill who will really help you out.

evoIX said:
1201139 said:
i got a yellow tang, niger trigger and a false per clown in my 29 and they are all doin fine together

not to be fish popo. but tang is definitely going to overgrow a 29 and niger trigger is VERY aggressive. everyone is their own and could do whatever they want with their tanks but i suggest against it. i knew a guy with about a 12" Hippo 12-16" angel and another 12"+ unknown in a 29gallon tank. they looked like they couldn't move for ANYTHING. they lived but who really thinks it's fine to look at a fish stay in one position cause they didn't provide enough room to move?

my previous 29cube livestock list

1 tail spot blenny
2 fire fish - open top but they were together living fine at the fish store for a month
1 flame angel - 50/50 chance of it eating corals
1 red scooter dragonet - once my tank is mature enough

yeah i know they will outgrow the tank soon im not gonna torment them when they get big i will pass them on to a lfs that will except them or sell them here. but they arent that big yet. when i got both of them they were pretty small so i still have some time. and in my expierience the trigger isnt that aggreseive for the most part he never fights or anything. he definatly isnt invert safe though