• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish Trap

Does anyone have a fish trap that they would recommend. I may have to get a tang out of the tank for a while. Anybody have any luck in catching them?

Eric

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I made one out of egg crate and twist ties. It is boxed shape about 10" tall 3" wide. One narrow side has an opening of about 4". I tied a piece of string to it and put a rock with nori in it. depending on the fish it could take 5min or a few days. I pull the string and then net the fish out.

There is a thing I have called the fish corral I got on drfostersmith website that works pretty good. Put food in it and submerge it and the food shoots up inside of it, then open the door and the fish should go at the food and then you can close the door on it trapping the fish inside for easy transport.

Does anybody know what is the 2 liter bottle method. I saw a reference to it somewhere but couldn't find details.

thanks
Eric

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Take a 2 liter bottle and cut the spout off about 3" / 4" down. You then invert into the remaing bottle section. You will need to cut the spout out depending in size of fish you want to capture. Glue it together and tie a piece of string. Bait it and wait. I actually stapled mine together.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I poked holes and used zip ties to hold mine together. Worked like a charm. I used a mini-version (water bottle) to catch some inverts before treating the system with interceptor.