• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Flame Scallop care help

OK so in what did you get for Christmas, my Mom bought herself a flame scallop for my tank. I admit they always are cool looking but from what I know they are a pain to care for and keep alive so have always avoided them. My Mom loved them and since she was buying I said OK ...with disclaimer I don't know if I can keep it alive. So here I am...I have ESV phytoplankton that I can spot feed it. Other than that any thoughts? Anyone ever keep one? On a side note...I bought a cucumber maybe nine months ago ... never saw it for 7 months then the last week it came out for Christmas or something....funny how you have no idea where things go.

They have an abysmal survival rate, need a very specific feed, and tend to hide in the rocks where they are difficult or next to impossible to see. Here is some reading. I tried one once, without success.

They have an abysmal survival rate, need a very specific feed, and tend to hide in the rocks where they are difficult or next to impossible to see. Here is some reading. I tried one once, without success.
Thanks this exactly the information I was looking for if not what I wanted to hear. I learned that pseudofeces is "fake poop"....and besides that I confirmed what I thought I knew and then some. It had attached itself under a rock that had a nice flow in the tank which would have been helpful. But if nothing else I have a DSB and enough bristle worms to choke a goat so maybe that helps...I will play some Berry White and hope they spawn a lot. Thanks again Jim.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
There's always hope. I have one in a rock crevice for over a year now. No special care. Never moves. Just waves its tentacles in the wind all day.

There's always hope. I have one in a rock crevice for over a year now. No special care. Never moves. Just waves its tentacles in the wind all day.
Cool. I have hope, I have a couple other monster clams so I do feed phyto now...do you feed other small food to the tank? Thanks for chiming in BTW.

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
James, have you spoken to the folks at ACC? I know they sell them perhaps they can be of assistance.

That is where I bought it. And I know they have the food bar there to so that is the "easy" answer. But was looking for the info that Jim posted and also personal stories.

Still kicking ... he of course has moved to a less desirable place to see and feed but that is life of a reef tank.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I have had many flame scallops, No, you cannot keep it alive in a tank. But those cucumbers, Wow, they grow like crazy

Glad to hear it's still doing well... I've only ever heard they were near impossible to keep. You'll have to share your secrets!

It is pretty hard to tell how it is doing honestly. I target feed ESV phytoplankton and with general messy tank hope it works out.