• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Flat Panel TV

I'm leaning towards a ~52" LCD, possibly Samsung. I tried to see the difference between LCD and and plasma and it was hard for me, with the same program running. I know what you mean about black levels, that makes sense, I should probably try to watch a "dark" movie (Batman Begins etc) on an LCD and see how I like it. My current CRT HD TV has great black levels. Will probably get 1080P because it's the latest thing (with no programming, I hear...). Still have to look at the 60 vs 120HZ thing.
NO GAMING on my new tv, we are roping that off to the DOWNSTAIRS home theatre.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
jimroth said:
I'm leaning towards a ~52" LCD, possibly Samsung. I tried to see the difference between LCD and and plasma and it was hard for me, with the same program running. I know what you mean about black levels, that makes sense, I should probably try to watch a "dark" movie (Batman Begins etc) on an LCD and see how I like it. My current CRT HD TV has great black levels. Will probably get 1080P because it's the latest thing (with no programming, I hear...). Still have to look at the 60 vs 120HZ thing.
Although you won't see any 1080p programming a lot of the HD channels broadcast in 1080i.

Bob

magic said:
jimroth said:
Although you won't see any 1080p programming a lot of the HD channels broadcast in 1080i.

Bob

This is true, Blu-ray is the only thing you will get 1080p from and that's only if you are using HDMI wires, TurboHD from dish network claims they have 1080p picture, but i am skeptical. this is because the bandwidth limitations of a simple coaxial wire is 720p/1080i. component cables do not even carry a 1080p picture. as to which type of TV you should get it really depends on what type of room it is going to be in and by that i mean how much light is going to be shining directly on the screen. if none, go with plasma, they are more cost affective, and have the better picture also you don't need to worry about the 120Hz issue, all plasmas are 480Hz's with a 4m/s response time. plasmas almost have no chance of burn in anymore, due to new technology in pixel shift. which allows the picture to move to not allow burn ins to occur. these are some of the things working at sears in the electronics department helps you with.

I've had my Insignia 42" plasma for about a year...for the most part I like it. The picture is crisp and clear. But the down side is that it does throw a bit of heat and with certain stations now imprinting there logo on every program I do tend to get a bit of a burn in on the screen. Nickelodeon is good for that. The tv does clean the screen automatically to get rid of it but it is still really annoying.

I just added a 26" Sony Bravia lcd for the bedroom and I can say I love it. Looks great and is the perfect size to watch late night hockey in bed after my 8 month goes to bed.
Paid $400 for it with a 4 yr warranty.

As for the hdmi cable. I bought one the other day at staples and it cost me $49.99 for a belkin cable. (needed one for my dvd/surround system that I just upgraded) When I bought the sony the other day I didnt buy a cable because comcast tends to give out screwy boxes (the last hd box I got from them only had an dvi output not an hdmi output and didnt want to have to return a cable that wouldnt work with their crappy boxes) Anyway went to Rite Aid and they had a philips hdmi cable for $29.99 and it was the 24k gold version.... much better deal and price.

I am almost ready to buy, ha ha.

Decided on a Sony 52" XBR6. Cheapest place to buy it turns out to be Amazon, although bringing it back to the store if I'm unhappy may be a problem.

The price has actually dropped twice in the last two weeks, by a lot of money.

We're VERY happy with our 37" Vizio LCD. I know a lot of people say that Vizio is low end, but our picture is crystal clear.

Jim there is an Amazon.com in New Castle Delaware off 13.. I dunno how far you are from DE though :p

I'm in the same boat looking for a tv.. Costco has a nice 50" Vizio with a home theater system for $1K. and Cnet reviews don't help anything at all. they seem to make it harder to decide :-\

Hit up sears in moorsetown we have a 32" samsung going on sale for 499.99 the model is ln32a300 great tv for the price. and if you want anything bigger we have pretty much everything, ask for bill xD

so many choices..

ok experts which is better.. this is what i'm looking at, it's in the price range i am going to pay and it will end up minimal use in the master bedroom sometime in the spring. also i can go to any of the locations that are selling them..

http://www.vizio.com/productDetails.aspx?id=1768&pid=1506
1366x768 resolution, integrated HDTV and standard definition TV tuner, all supporting the newest 1080i TV format

http://www.vizio.com/productDetails.aspx?id=2638&pid=1506

Full HD 1920 x 1080 native Resolution LCD

go with number 2
http://www.vizio.com/productDetails.aspx?id=2638&pid=1506

definitely the better picture, the cabinet looks nicer too, and the tv picture looks nicer not to mention it is 1080p which is the way to go. we have both of them and when you stare at them all day you can see some things that other people may not see. in the picture, the 1080p version has a crisper picture followed by better black levels. in the cabinet you see the sleeker design, number 2 is the way to go

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just a FYI. Check the internet for info on Vizios. Not the best reputation.

Bob