• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Flatworm Exit

How reef safe is this product? I bought a sixline in hopes of getting rid of the flatworms but he's just not cutting it. anyone have experience with the product?

Thanks

I have used it (along with lugols) as a dip for all corals before I introduce them into the display.

I've never used any medications for the display...knock on wood.

phil519 said:
I have used it (along with lugols) as a dip for all corals before I introduce them into the display.

I've never used any medications for the display...knock on wood.

im kind of nervous to use it. i dont like putting any chemicals in the tank either. I was thinking of getting another six line and maybe a Blue Velvet Nudibranch and let them at it

I've used it before (twice) and its safe. As with most "reef safe" medications, have a lot of carbon ready, follow the directions to the tee, and make sure you have a good amount of already made (and parameter corrected) fresh salt water

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can also try a product by Blue Life called Flatworm Control. I didn't have much success with FWE (they always seemed to come back). I tried the Blue Life and it worked great.

used it twice last year, a second treatment was required. just make absolutely sure you have carbon and lotsa change water available.... they're not kidding when they say these things release toxins when they die... water will turn yellowish, maybe try just slightly more than the recomended dosage, so maybe one treatment will do the job the first time.... and a water change will definitely be neccessary. but have the carbon and change water ready and it will make the process less stressful for you. you're corals will all be a little closed for a couple days, but tey should all bounce back... but it is very satisfying to watch those little ba$tards squirm around shrivel up and die.... oh, and f.y.i.... be prepared for over active skimmer production after you turn it back on after the treatment... good luck

I've tried the FWE in a reef tank and the fish and corals were fine. The flatworms came back however.

Brian, where did you get the Flatworm Control and did it work long term?

Eric

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
EricBa said:
Brian, where did you get the Flatworm Control and did it work long term?

Eric

I got it from Aquatic Obsessions in Avenel...I'm not sure who else carries it, or if they have it stocked. I guess I can't really say whether it worked long term or not, but it's been a few months and I still haven't seen any.

I have used FWE. First time at recommended rate and then again at double the rate. Have not had flat worms for months. I kind of like the idea of using it twice. You lower your flat worm count without raising the toxin level to high.

Well i used it last night, and am now flatworm free ;D this stuff is amazing corals closed up for about 2 hours then started to open back up. I didnt notice any yellow in the tank but i do know that the skimmer is going crazy. gonna go pickup some chemipure today and put it in the refuge