• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Flatworms!

My tank is infested with flatworms. They are all over my zoas, lost part of a colony last week and now several of my smaller colonies are in varying states of distress. i.e., not opening up, starting to shrivel and whiter away.

Any advice on getting rid of them would be greatly appreciated.

When I had them I got rid of them by doing the following:

1. Using airline tubing, syphon out all that you can find and dump them. Do this for about a week or if your really infested until you can not see them anymore. I did it twice a day for the first couple days and hen once a day there after. This is the most important step since killing them in your tank will make the tank toxic. The less you have in there when you dose the better.
  2. Once youve removed the majority of them I removed all of my inverts. snails, hermits, stars, etc.
  3. Dose with FWE. With FWE your going to have to dose more than they recommend. I left my tank running for the day and did not addd the carbon as they recommended until the night.
  4. Run very heavy carbon for the next couple of days.
  5. If you want to be sure you can do another dose a couple days later.
  6. Once all is done Id do a good water change and hopefully you got them all.

Its been over a year for me and I still dont have any so I wish you the best of luck.

How long was it before the worms started dieing?

Because of how much I over dosed it (2 bottles in about 90 gallons total volume) I was able to see them start squirming around and dieing within an hour (actually think it was about 30 minutes). Even after that I still left it sitting in the tank for most of the day before I added carbon and did water changes.

Flatworm Exit= Flatworms dead. Treated the tank last night and it worked just as advertised. Probably going to retreat next week to get any stragglers.

Because of how much I over dosed it (2 bottles in about 90 gallons total volume) I was able to see them start squirming around and dieing within an hour (actually think it was about 30 minutes). Even after that I still left it sitting in the tank for most of the day before I added carbon and did water changes.

I dosed as reccomended with Flatworm Solution in a separate tank but It didn't seem to have the effect I wanted.. So in 90 Gallons you dosed enough to to nuke 600 gallons? I got a bunch of corals from a guy's tank break down and was qurantining them in a 20 gal. I needed to Nuke flatworms that he had on it before putting it in my display. I'm guessing the Solution Itself is not toxic but the worms dieing are..