• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Float switch holder

Made a float switch holder from some scrap acrylic for my top off container.

e80b5eaf969ca5b0d77b88ef8374940f.jpg
7da89afefaf9430c5c98d3d1b6694e7e.jpg
da795430515a528315a5f9ad7060a33b.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I always love the DIY stuff, but I'm going to be brutally honest:

1. Most float switches can't get wet on the top side.....it's not a waterproof connection where the wires come in from the top. Might not short out immediately, but it will within short order.

2. There is no backup....specifically on the upper float switch. All float switches fail, and it would be best to have a second float switch slightly higher than the first, in series to the first float switch.

What I would have done is to use horizontal float switches that come with a mini bulkhead. Drill a hole in your container and install the float switch....all wires on the dry side.....no bracket needed.:

54LPP-2AY_BLACK.jpg

This is the kind of switch I used in my ATO container.....works great.

Otherwise, nice job in forming the acrylic holder....did you do that using your kitchen oven? And nice acrylic work in building the shelves for the float holders.

Excellent feedback. I like those float switches, where did you get them? I put the acrylic in front a electric portable heater for 20 minutes and it bent super easy. For failsafe, I have the ro-di entering into the container via a Kent Marine float valve. If both fail, I have my leak detector on my apex that will shut off the valve and send me an alert. If that fails, I lined the whole sump area with shower pan rubber with a floor drain. I'm scared to death of water ruining my hardwood floor.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bob, I never had a snail guard on a horizontal float switch....considering I have this in my ATO reservoir in RO/DI water....with no snails. However, on vertical float switches, I've used little plastic jars with a wide-mouth lids were I've drilled holes in the side of the plastic bottle.

The issue with horizontal switches is that they need considerable width...the drop length of the float. I have a couple plastic bottles from my 90 year old drug addicted father (legal drugs) that might work, that I could bring to the meeting this month, if you're interested.

I need to make an ATO filling the tank everyday is such a pain. Im terrible with anything electrical tho, any advice or how to info would be greatly appreciated

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
RJ, two suggestions:

1. HERE's the DIY write up I did....for about $13. If interested, I could do the soldering for you....or actually assemble the whole thing if you buy the parts.
2. Option two is to pick up Aquahub's Premium kit....for $40.....still requires assembly, but no soldering.

Note with either option you still need an outlet and pump......I'd suggest Tom's Aqualifter for a pump...they cost around $15. The outlet would be less than $5.