• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Flow amount in tank???

Hey guys ... Im new here and will be starting a 72 bowfront ... I need some guidance on powerheads ... I will have mostly SPS with some LPS and was thinking on 3 Maxi-Jets 1200 on a wavemaker or a MP20 .... Any one with different recommendation are more then welcome like koralia 2's .... Either way the return pump will be a Mag9

Thanks

Charlie

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Chuck

Welcome to the site! Given the choices you presented both have pros and cons. The maxi are cheaper but only provide directional flow (straight line) and will take up a lot of space as well as transfer their heat to the tank. The Vortech is more expensive but it has a variable speed as well as diffrent modes it also has a wider flow pattern which will hit more area in the tank. If is was me I would go with the Vortech. I personally have 2 Vortech on my tank and wouldn't use anything else. JMHO.

Bob

Def the vortech. Are you heeping sps? If you are id go with the mp 40, would be nice in a 72 with mainly sps. If your aiming more toward softies get the mp 20

welcome charlie!

I agree with nick. Go with something better than the maxi-jets. While cheap, mj-s produce a bit of heat to the tank and also tend to be a rather focused blast of water. I've never used the mod's -but if you are pinched for money - i guess that would be an alternate route.

I am going to be different... ::)
I have not broken down and forked over the buck sfor the vortex yet or tunze.
I have 2 koralia 4s and 2 MJ900 in my tank.
I have a similar idea to you. I use two koralias for the surface and try to get somewhat circular flow. Koralia is coming out with a new model FYI looks pretty nice. I was also looking online and Sicce has some nice powerheads but only saw them in Austrailia :'(.
FYI the MJ900 is just below the MJ1200 in GPH with much less energy watts and heat.
Ex-nano trick.
Those are on a wavemaker, which my RBTAs appears to like as they are planted right in front of it.