• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Flow in a 37 G SPS tank.

I have a 37 G reef tank with SPS corals in it. I am concerned that I dont have enough flow in the tank. My pump from the sump is pushing about 400GPH. I also have a Koralia 2 powerhaed at 400 GPH and another pump. Im not sure of the make heres a pic. It does say 550 on top.

DSCF0789.jpg

DSCF0781.jpg

If anybody can ID it for me I would appreciated it.

If this is not enough I have no problem getting more pumps. I like the Koralia Powerheads, I would like to stick with those if possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Here is a pic of the whole tank.

DSCF0785.jpg

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I think there are a lot of variables to take into account when talking about flow. Tank dimensions, flow direction and especially rock formations that may block/alter the flow.

I have a 29g with a MJ1200 (295GPH) on my fuge and a closed loop system with an 800 GPH pump on it, and I wish I had more...

I think, for the most part, it comes down to if you have trouble spots (such as cyano on your sand) and if your SPS looks happy...

Thanks for the reply. I found out the pump is a penguin 550 rated for 145 GPH. I'm going to add another pump for my satisfaction.

Thanks, again.

hey dude, i would stick with the koralias or seios they have a more disperse flow than the penguins or maxijets. you want random water movement throughout the tank without being too directional on your corals especially the softies and lps.

Thanks for the replies. It been a while since I updated this tank. I added a Koralia 3 nad removed the penguin. All well in the tank.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Never enough flow. Just bought a second Vortech for my 46g (future upgrade in mind).

Bob